Thread: Time for new router; Anyone used the TP-Link Archer C7 successfully?

Default Time for new router; Anyone used the TP-Link Archer C7 successfully?

Hi,

My current router, a DLINK DIR-655, has begun dropping wireless connections intermittently. However, it does work reasonably well with Voipo if I put my router in the DMZ.

Has anyone used the Voipo services with the TP-Link Archer C7 and is there anything I should look out for?

Thanks in advanced,

Dave

Default Re: Time for new router; Anyone used the TP-Link Archer C7 successfully?

Can't speak about the TP-Link archer. But if you're soliciting suggestions for a router, I really like the Netgear R7000 nighthawk. Yes, it's one of the more pricier routers, but it's fast, stable, and is designed for people who do voip, gaming, video, and other applications where managing bandwidth is important.
    Mike
    "Born Wild - Raised Proud"
    Do you like your life? - Thank a Vet!!!

Default Re: Time for new router; Anyone used the TP-Link Archer C7 successfully?

I have C7. Frankly, I expected more from AC router. I have it in AP mode (my modem has a built-in router). The wireless is OK (but not overwhelming). I have AC laptop and Samsung phone with AC support - yes, it's better than N devices. But it feels that N devices get worse bandwidth than from the modem/router that is in a worse location. On top of everything it loses wireless connection occasionally (sometimes once in a few days; sometimes once a month) - and the only way is to turn it off and then back on again.

Quote Originally Posted by christcorp View Post
    Can't speak about the TP-Link archer. But if you're soliciting suggestions for a router, I really like the Netgear R7000 nighthawk. Yes, it's one of the more pricier routers, but it's fast, stable, and is designed for people who do voip, gaming, video, and other applications where managing bandwidth is important.
    Mike, are you using the Grandstream ATA that Voipo supplies with your R7000? Did you need to forward any ports for it to work? I have the Netgear WNDR3400V2 and am getting blasted by port scans and exploit attempts because I have had to port forward that ridiculous 5004-65000 range to the ATA.

Quote Originally Posted by CoNative View Post
    Mike, are you using the Grandstream ATA that Voipo supplies with your R7000? Did you need to forward any ports for it to work? I have the Netgear WNDR3400V2 and am getting blasted by port scans and exploit attempts because I have had to port forward that ridiculous 5004-65000 range to the ATA.
    I'm not Mike but I still have the original PAP2T through my 3801HGV Uverse modem and have those same ports forwarded for years without the experiences you mentioned.
    For the very first time, I'm using a modem/router package and so far, not a single problem with speed or anything.

In the past, I would always insist on a separate modem & router. This modem doesn't really want to be bridged and although I could do so, it is working so well that I don't want to fool with it.

Quote Originally Posted by burris View Post
    I'm not Mike but I still have the original PAP2T through my 3801HGV Uverse modem and have those same ports forwarded for years without the experiences you mentioned.
    For the very first time, I'm using a modem/router package and so far, not a single problem with speed or anything.

In the past, I would always insist on a separate modem & router. This modem doesn't really want to be bridged and although I could do so, it is working so well that I don't want to fool with it.
    Thanks for the response Burris. I read in another topic that Mike doesn't forward any ports but also doesn't have the router firewall enabled.

I have all the logging turned on and the log is consistently full of these attempts. What worries me is since the Grandstream is basically part of my internal network, if an vulnerability is found, they can use these forwarded ports to access other devices/computers on my network. A couple years ago, I only need to forward range 5004-6000 with my old Dlink DIR-655 and Voipo service worked great. But then that router died and I replaced it with the Netgear. I believe I tried to use the same range and it didn't work, so support said I had to use that huge range. The service has been fine but lately we've noticed some slowness at times and when the logs are checked, I've discovered botnets basically DoSing my connection on those forwarded ports (usually in the 33000+ range).

I'm wondering if port triggering could be used in conjunction with port forwarding. For example, if the incoming call always hits port 5060 first then negotiates a different/dynamic port, it seems like I could forward only 5060 to the ATA and then use port triggering to open that huge range which would only stay open while on the call and timeout/close when finished. I haven't had time to research this more or try it (WAF needs to stay high).

Sorry for not replying sooner. I was on multiple business trips to the west and east coasts.

To answer your questions. I have one of the original PAP2 just like Burris does. I have used some of the other voip adapters, but I like the Linksys better.

As for routing on my new Netgear R7000 (Nighthawk), I have it set the same as I did on my previous linksys routers. No port forwarding. No QOS. No port triggers. But you are correct; I DO TURN OFF pretty much all the firewall functions. I turn off SPI (Stateful Packet Inspection). I turn off ALG. Allow port scan. Etc...

Here's my philosophy; and it's worked pretty good so far in the last 35 years working in the IT and Telecom fields. I want my MODEM to be a MODEM. (Thus, if it's a DSL modem, I BRIDGE MODE IT and don't use the router function). I want my ROUTER to be ROUTER. (I have compromised and now use combo router/WIFE access points); but I DON'T use the Firewall functions. I want it to be a ROUTER!!!

I don't like COMBO Stereo Systems; I have a separate amp, tuner, turn table (YES, I still listen to records), separate CD player, etc... I don't want a COMBO TV/DVD player, etc...

As for a Firewall, I definitely WANT ONE. I simply WON'T use the firewall section of a traditional router. I use 2 types of firewalls. I put SOFTWARE firewalls on EACH computer that I have on my network. I also have a HARDWARE Firewall that feeds my servers. All my network equipment is protected.

So, how do I have it set up? Simple. Cable Broadband MODEM (No router function) feeding my Netgear R7000 Nighthawk. The netgear has no security turned on except for using NAT. The 4 ports leaving the R7000 I have one going to my PAP2 Voip adapter. One port going to a single desktop. And a third port going to a Firewall/Switch. The R7000 I do have 2 WIFI networks coming off of that. The WIFI feeds my wireless PS3, Netflix, Directv, 1 laptop, and the 2nd WIFI is a "GUEST MODE" in case my kids visit or friends. It doesn't allow access to the NETWORK. Just the INTERNET. The FIREWALL/SWITCH I then feed anything I need protected like servers. I have software firewalls on all the computers. Desktop as well as laptops.

So; could someone on the outside world get to anything on my network? Sure, if they tried hard enough. They could get to my Voip adapter, Netflix Box, and my PS3. Everything else has either a software or hardware firewall on it.

Sorry for the long diatribe. But except for 1 email with a virus attachment; (About 5 years ago); I have never had any computer/network security issues. I do online banking, stocks, investments, etc... I feel quite confident and comfortable with my setup. In the VOIP world, the problem is that the internet has "Net Neutrality". That means we can't truly dedicate standardized ports, bandwidth, QOS, etc. to it from END TO END. Because of this, Voip will act differently on different internet providers, their equipment, and your home equipment. I have used 3 different internet providers and technologies with all of my VOIP services. And I have used/tested/worked with/for MANY different voip services. I have NEVER had any problems with choppiness, cutting out, dropped packets, etc... Voip ALWAYS works good for me. (Assuming the voip provider has their routing and gateways set up properly).

The best test in the world, is to take your internet router, DISCONNECT EVERYTHING from the router except the voip adapter, turn OFF ALL security in the router, and try the phone by itself on a long duration phone call. If it sounds good, then you know the voip service and internet service will work together fine. Depending on the router, you could even go one step further and put the voip adapter into the DMZ. (Not normally needed). So, if everything works good there, then the issues would be with how you have your network setup. Usually "Security" issues.

But in my opinion, I do not want my router to be a security firewall. I want it to be a router. Nothing more. If I want firewalls and security, I will address the devices I want to have that on. Not automatically trying to secure EVERYTHING. Do I really care if someone can ping my Playstation 3? Or my Netflix Box NOR my voip adapter. And don't forget to turn off the SIP ALG settings. If that's on, your router is thinking there's some software program, like Skype or similar SOFTPHONE APP that is wanting the SIP PORTS. Some routers will block your voip adapter from having access to the SIP ports like 5060 and 5061.

Anyway; I know some will disagree with my security/firewall methods. That's cool. This is AMERICA. You can disagree. You won't change my mind, but that's cool. I've been doing this for more than 35 years. Before Al Gore even invented the internet. I know the best way to protect my network. Do you think a big company uses all-in-one Router/Firewalls? No, they don't. They even mention having part of their network "OUTSIDE OF THEIR FIREWALL". There's reasons for this. E.g. guest mode, separate VPN access, Dual WAN redundancy, etc... Combo router/switch/firewall/wireless is simply a POOR MAN'S Network. It was made for the average person who doesn't know the difference between a hub, switch, and router. Not saying you have to have your network set up like me. Simply saying my way allows voip to work better. But you do sort of need some networking experience and not mind possibly buying a little extra hardware like possibly a switch or firewall. Best of luck. Mike.....
    Mike
    "Born Wild - Raised Proud"
    Do you like your life? - Thank a Vet!!!

Quote Originally Posted by christcorp View Post
    Voip ALWAYS works good for me. (Assuming the voip provider has their routing and gateways set up properly).
    I think one day I will need to quote you back to you!