Thread: How do I assign a Static IP Address?

Default How do I assign a Static IP Address?

How do I assign a Static IP Address?

Default Re: How do I assign a Static IP Address?

If you are speaking about the address of your internet connection, you need to speak with your internet provider.

If you are speaking about a static address for something within your home/office network, it is entirely dependent on the device.

Some telephone adapters can't be configured with a static address and are dependent on DHCP. If that's the case your router should be able to be configured to reserve a specific address for the MAC address of your device.

It would help if you provided a more detailed description of what you would like to accomplish.

I was talking about assigning a static IP address to the VoIP adapter.

But I figured out after being on the phone with a technician, that only they can do it. They have the credentials to log into the box and change from DHCP to Static.

Unless your adapter or dhcp server is defective, there should be no functional difference between using a reserved dhcp address and using a static address. In the latter case, you will want to make sure your dhcp server does not attempt to assign the chosen static address to some other device. (e.g. keep it out of the pool of available addresses.)

Matt is correct. The easiest way is to tell the router to reserve an IP for a specific MAC address. In this case your voip adapter. This way no matter if you ever reboot the adapter or your entire network; your router will always assign the voip adapter the same IP address. e.g. 192.168.1.40. Then, if you need to do any port forwarding, DMZ, or whatever the reason; you'll be able to do it. It's almost always better to do it this way than to manually assign it inside the actual devices. One of the main reasons is in case you ever buy a new router or you happen to reset one of your devices. Then you'll have a difficult time getting back into it. e.g. Linksys starts their ip addresses with 192.168.1.x but a company like dlink might start with 192.168.0.x. Anyway; Matt gave good advice. Get your router to reserve a specific IP address for the adapter instead of manually configuring the adapter for a static IP.
    Mike
    "Born Wild - Raised Proud"
    Do you like your life? - Thank a Vet!!!