Thread: Grandstream ATA - LAN port issues?

Default Grandstream ATA - LAN port issues?

Hello all,
    I am new to VOIPo and received my Grandstream adapter yesterday. I made the connections as directed (Internet to WAN, Router to LAN), but with that my router is unable to access the internet. I have tried rebooting all devices, but still have the same problem.

I can make calls by connecting the ATA to my router, but dont want to do that.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!!

Default Re: Grandstream ATA - LAN port issues?

Make sure the lans of the two devices are on different subnets. Your router will not work if the address on both wan and lan are on the same subnet. I think its 192.168.0.0/24 on the grandsteam...

Make the lan on your new ATA something like 172.16.100.0/24 or any other private lan subnet would work...
    I Void Warranties.

I had a similar problem when I first connected. Issue was my wireless router was 11 years old! So rather than try to tweak it, I bit the bullet and bought a brand new router for about $50 bucks. The key secret from my new wireless router was to FIRST make all connections hard connected -- then connected the computer wirelessly. All is well. I still have a small issue with incoming calls that is being looked at -- but this is not as issue with the network setup. VIOPo support is aware of my issue and is working on it.

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by chpalmer View Post
    Make sure the lans of the two devices are on different subnets. Your router will not work if the address on both wan and lan are on the same subnet. I think its 192.168.0.0/24 on the grandsteam...

Make the lan on your new ATA something like 172.16.100.0/24 or any other private lan subnet would work...
    Thanks for your reply. I am not sure what you mean. I only have that one ATA (Grandstream). I am connecting the ATA to the modem (in WAN) and then to the router (via LAN). Do you mean I should change the address of the router? How do I do that?

My router is a netgear rangemax (about 6 months old) if that helps.

Verify you have 2 ethernet cables connected this way:

1st cable: ISP modem to WAN of ATA
    2nd cable: ATA LAN to WAN of Router

Enter your router web configuration and verify the Internet (WAN port) is set to DHCP. Reboot all devices again and verify if you can access the Internet.

tried this too

Can you log into both devices and verify that the LAN addresses are different?
    I Void Warranties.

The below assumes that your setup is DSL modem ----> ATA ----> router ---->computer

Sounds like you are double NAT'ing. The ATA is a router as well as your ISP modem (if you have DSL and not cable). Preferred method is the set your DSL modem to bridged mode (bridged ethernet setting in most DSL modems). The next best option is to set your ATA in bridged mode, support should be able to help you with that.

Least preferred but may work (depends on your router) - Connect your ATA from the LAN port to a normal port on your router (NOT the WAN port on the router) and reboot everything. Reboot in this order - ISP modem, ATA, router and then computer - waiting a minute in between each device. For your ISP modem, router and ATA it is best to reboot by unplugging and plugging back in, again - in the correct order waiting 1 minute in between.

Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by chpalmer View Post
    Can you log into both devices and verify that the LAN addresses are different?
    Thanks. I checked and Yes the LAN addresses are different.

Quote Originally Posted by voipinit View Post
    The below assumes that your setup is DSL modem ----> ATA ----> router ---->computer

Sounds like you are double NAT'ing. The ATA is a router as well as your ISP modem (if you have DSL and not cable). Preferred method is the set your DSL modem to bridged mode (bridged ethernet setting in most DSL modems). The next best option is to set your ATA in bridged mode, support should be able to help you with that.

Least preferred but may work (depends on your router) - Connect your ATA from the LAN port to a normal port on your router (NOT the WAN port on the router) and reboot everything. Reboot in this order - ISP modem, ATA, router and then computer - waiting a minute in between each device. For your ISP modem, router and ATA it is best to reboot by unplugging and plugging back in, again - in the correct order waiting 1 minute in between.

Hope this helps.
    I have cable internet not DSL. and for some reason, I cannot log in to the modem (it was provided by the ISP). I tried to put the ATA in bridged mode, but then, it would not register to the voipo. voipo customer service told me to reset the ata (and basically, go back to non bridge mode). I will try option 3 tonight thanks a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by voipinit View Post

Hope this helps.
    I am having similar issues. My VOIPO phone service is working fine. I am using the Netgear DGND 3700, which is a router and adsl modem combined. As far as I know, you cannot bridge the ethernet setting for the modem. I wound up having to use your second method which you say is the least preferred. I have the ATA WAN output connected to the WAN input of my router. Previously I had tried connecting the WAN from the ATA to the WAN of the router, but the phone service would not work with that set up at all. When I used your second suggested method, and rebooted everything, the ATA works fine to provide phone service. No problems there so far at all.

But the ATA does not show up as a device on the router, or, of course, on my computer, so I cannot fiddle with the settings on it at all.

The way that I understand these things, and I am afraid my understanding is minimal, is that I have the ATA in front of the router. I would like to get it behind the router, and be able to access it and change the settings on it, if need be. If I need to accomplish that, I suppose I could try to connect the ATA directly to my computer to get to its webpage interface. If I did that, for example, disabled its DHCP server, and gave it a fixed IP, could I then hook it downstream to from my router's lan connection, and have the ATA properly function to provide phone service?