Thread: VOIPO Recommended Registration/Connection Time For A Device

Default VOIPO Recommended Registration/Connection Time For A Device

Does VOIPO have a connection time out for a BYOD?

In other words, if the VOIPO server has not "heard" from a soft-phone device for some amount of time, does it forget the device is connected and thus does not bother to send an incoming call to it? From what I've read, many softphones (like Bria, X-Lite and others) don't seem to have a heart beat and at some point voip servers seem to forget the device is there? Zoiper may be an exception.

Bottom line is that I think that if my computer is sleeping and the soft-phone app it is sleeping with receives an incoming call, they should wake up to answer the call, like when I am sleeping, the telephone rings, I wake up to answer it.

Zoiper has a "Registration entry" field that specifies "the maximum number of seconds between consecutive registrations on the server." 1 seems a bit extreme. But 86,400 may be meaningless if the server thinks the device is dead after 3,600 secs. What would be the optimal time to register for?

Some insight as to how the BYOD server manages device connections may help so I can tweak some settings so my computer can sleep with the soft-phone. But the BYOD server would still know to send them any incoming calls as a network event to demand they wake up and handle the traffic, just as they would if they were active. If necessary I will deny my computer any sleep so the soft-phone can be ready to handle calls anytime. But that also seems a bit extreme and may not be necessary if I can optimize registrations.

Thank you.

Default Re: VOIPO Recommended Registration/Connection Time For A Device

If your dealing with a windows computer, when they sleep, they like to sleep the USB Ports and Ethernet Ports and other things, plus a lot of times windows don't like to wake-up without crashing something. What i have done for years, is just turn the monitor off, no screensaver, no sleep, no nothing, just run 24/7. That keeps things running for weeks without crashing or needing to reboot.