Thread: If it ain't broke..... don't fix it

Default If it ain't broke..... don't fix it

The last few years have been extremely busy. Kids growing up; graduating college; new jobs; etc... I haven't been on the forum as much as I use to. I've had an account with voipo since..... Well, since day-1. And I can honestly say that VoipO is the best Voip service I've used. And the few other founding members on this forum know I've used pretty much all of the main voip providers. Including many that are no longer in business. During my ALPHA and BETA testing years with Voipo, I tried pretty much every adapter that they came out with.

Which brings me to my question. What is the last adapter that everyone is using? Primarily what VoipO is issuing? After testing about 5 different ones for VoipO, I've settled in on using the PAP2. Which I've been using now steadily since 2007. It's been working fine.

There was one adapter I used during testing that I really liked. Can't even remember which one it was. (It was a small Grandstream). The thing I liked about it most was that it actually worked on ROTARY phones. For you young kids, we use to actually have to SPIN a dial. Being I work in the telecom/Phone business and have for more than 35 years, I've collected a lot of phones and have them wired throughout the house. Including a 1957 coin pay phone and a 1910 Country Junction candlestick phone with a rotary dialer. I still use them but obviously only to answer calls. With that one adapter; whatever it was; I was able to actually dial out using rotary. I'm guessing there aren't any adapters that can do rotary also? I would like to upgrade my Voip adapter, but I'm not sure if the technology has changed much in the last 7-8 years and would provide any benefit.

Anyway, just posting to check in and say that after more than 8 years of working with Tim and VoipO; and being one of the original testers and customers; I am still 100% PRO-VOIPO!!! I hope the company is doing well and expanding. I hope VoipO continues to provide service for many more years to come. Take care..... Mike.......
    Last edited by christcorp; 10-14-2014 at 11:34 PM.
    Mike
    "Born Wild - Raised Proud"
    Do you like your life? - Thank a Vet!!!

Default Re: If it ain't broke..... don't fix it

you can try a "Pulse to Tone converter for VoIP lines" http:\\www.dialgizmo.com

Cool gadget and concept. I'd have to see if it would allow tones to bypass it so I could use just one at the VoIP adapter. If it only allows pulse to enter and must be directly after each phone, I'd have to buy a few of them. I have 10 phones connected in my house to Voipo and 4 of them are rotary.

I thin the grandstream 502 can handle rotary. I think I still have that adapter some where in my box of adapters I tested in the beginning stages of Voipo. I might have to look for it. Either way, I'll definitely keep the link you provided. Pretty cool gadget. Thanks. Mike.
    Mike

Thanks for the post. I'm glad to hear that everything is still working well for you and we appreciate your continued support and business!

These days, we're mainly using Grandstream HT702s. The one you mentioned that you liked in the past was the HT286. The current 702 is basically the new generation of that line but a 2 port model.
    Timothy Dick
    Founder/CEO
    VOIPo.com

Interact with VOIPo: Twitter, Facebook

OP, if you review your own post on DSL Reports you will see that it is the HT502 that supports rotary dial. The HT283 does not support dial pulse as you also allude to. See http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r21626866-

Damn Red. You found posts from me from over 6 years ago. I'm impressed. I can't usually find a note I wrote my wife a week ago. LOL!!!

I tested a lot of different adapters in the last 10 years. A lot just for VoipO. I'll have to see what I still have in the box. This time of year it starts to get quiet other than college football games on weekends. (I travel to a lot of games). But other than that and ham radios, I might have more time to experiment with voip adapters and find the one I had that worked with rotary. It's not like it's really important. I can't imagine actually needing or wanting to make a call from a 100 year old phone. Even though it is convenient to answer it now if it rings as I'm walking out the door. But it's another project to play with.

Thanks for everyone's replies. And thanks for the Reply from Tim. Been a long time and glad you and the company are still doing well. Take care. I'll be around. Later.... Mike....
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by christcorp View Post
    The thing I liked about it most was that it actually worked on ROTARY phones.
    Yeah, Mike, but they're a bear for texting .

I'm also an oldtimer in the business; I was a first V**age customer, and have stayed with them until today, but in the meantime bought extra numbers from V**elity because V**age was so expensive. I took the plunge yesterday and bought a Reseller account, and the minimum monthly charge includes more than I was getting from V**and V**elity combined, at over three times the price. Plus I can now sell !

Your comments make me feel good that I've made the right decision, and now, maybe at almost 01:30 local time I can stop reading and go to bed.

But maybe not.

I think I'm in a good community, and with a good provider. Support so far (multiple calls today and multiple emails to get things answered) has been stellar! Yeah VOIPo.
    Thanks for your sevice, Mike. I'm ex-USAF myself, but a long time ago; I'm past 70 now and halfway to 71. And still alive and kicking.

Jeff

Thanks for all the replies.

I finally had some time to pull out all my techno-gear out of one of the walk in closets. (Yes, I have a walk in closet full of technology and no clothes). Pisses the wife off.

Anyway; I found the old grandstream that I used with voipo many years ago that worked with rotary dial phones. It's the 286 model. I'll have to check with Tim or tech support to see if it's worth swapping it over. I think the problem is; fall/winter is here.... the temperature has dropped into the 30-40's. College football season is almost over. And I'm looking for another project to keep me busy. Like I really care if I can make a call out on my 1910 country junction phone. I'm sure I can find another project. LOL!!!
    Mike