Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: On the Grandstream - Why Can't You Do This?

Default Re: On the Grandstream - Why Can't You Do This?

I have not had time to carefully follow the directions in your referenced link. It appears to be a great resource.

I do have a four wire hook up (unfortuantely) and pulling new cable through is not an immedate option.

But one thing I do observe is that that each outlet appears to be served by a seperate 4-wire. I do not think they are daisy-chained. It appears that the old POTS/dsl line used the red and green wires, and the second line (now the dry loop) used black and yellow.

So, once I verify my assumptions regarding the hook up (i.e. that the non- functional and disconnected old dsl-pots line is direct wired to each outlet with the red-green wires, and the new dry-loop is direct wired to each outlet using the yellow- black wires) I am assuming my problem may be lack of ring current.

Would there be any reason to leave the yellow-black wires attached to the terminals for any outlet other than the one that serves the dry-loop (i.e. the one that my modem/router is plugged into? I assume I will bend back and tape the unused yellow-black leads.

The red-green leads I would probably leave all attached to the outlets, to give the most flexibility for locating phones around the house. I since my Panasonic wireless phone is doing 4/5 of the job right now, I really only want to use two of those outlets.

I'd suggest you get a line tester:
    http://www.harborfreight.com/merchan...ker-94181.html

I've never used one since I pulled my own cable. Seems like a great tool for tracking down other peoples wiring. Especially since things can get mixed up over time. One outlet might have line 1 and line 2 reversed while another might not have line 2 connected at all, etc.

Once all your wiring is sorted you could run DSL on line two and VOIP on line one.

I have a line testing device on the way from Amazon! This ought to be fun