Thread: Delayed delivery of inbound fax

Default Delayed delivery of inbound fax

Someone sent me an order yesterday roughly 1:30pm to my VOIPo fax number 303-991-79XX and it didn't show up in my email until 10:21pm. Fearing it was lost, I had to have him refax it to my non-VOIPo fax number which delivered instantly. FWIW it was from the same customer that I had a call futz with after 15 minutes (reported elsewhere). He wondered who I was using ... I'll send the full header of the message to Tim in PM for analysis.

Default Re: Delayed delivery of inbound fax

Rocky, this sounds almost certainly like an SMTP issue. If voipo's mailer was unable to connect to your ISP's inbound SMTP server (and they will usually try a few times and then defer to much later...)

it was to yahoo.com. looks like a 6 or 7 hour delay. I had a couple of VOIPo faxes this morning which were much more timely, as they have been in the past. the long delay yesterday was not a normal occurrence.

ah, this was NOT voipo's fault. yahoo has a major (IMO) defect in how they throttle email to their inbound servers. this can result in delays of days or longer. it's a misguided (and botched) attempt to do a form of greylisting.

I think there are some general issues with the internet over the past few days.
    I notice some sites being rather slow (yahoo for one) and just when I think I have a problem, they speed up again. Others are just fine.
    I hope it does not die on me, I might have to get a real life !!!!

I'll switch to gmail and see what happens. I've not noticed delayed delivery of other emails through yahoo.....

It's very random-seeming. If the server that is trying to deliver to yahoo happens to be on their "greylist", those emails can be delayed for hours or days. Yahoo can't/won't do anything about this. Most people's ISP have multiple outbound, as an example: if your isp has a.smtp.xxx.com through f.smtp.xxx.com, and d.smtp.isp.com is on the sh*tlist, outbound mails from xxx.com to yahoo have a 1/5 chance of hitting this. very very irritating...