Thread: HT502 - when was in-house wiring limitation identified?

Default HT502 - when was in-house wiring limitation identified?

Ive got two VOIPO lines since early 2011. One line has a phone plugged in directly, another goes through house wiring, which is disconnected from the old POTS line coming into the house.

I've been having problems with my lines. Running the VOIPO-provided network tests show no issues with my Internet service. I have been informed that using my home wiring could have damaged my adapter, with using home wiring on one line damaging the other direct line as well. I have also been told that I will be charged for a replacement adapter.

i see that the current VOIPO online installation instructions now say not to use home wiring. I am not aware of these constraints being in place when I started service and performed my install, and even see posts in these VOIPO forums of users using multiple phones over their home wiring on the HT502 with no problems.

I've had other VOIP providers whose hardware had no issues with home wiring, and am looking at others now whose installation instructions actually specifically call this out as allowed. Technically the REN number of only one wireless phone over a short run of good wire would say this should not be a problem.

What is the real deal? Did I miss a communication from VOIPO about disconnecting home wiring?

Thanks

Default Re: HT502 - when was in-house wiring limitation identified?

Just got a note from support - apparently this constraint has been in effect since VOIPO's startup in 2006. ? Must have missed it.

I know my reply is a little late for the original poster, but it might help some others thinking similarly.

I've been with voipo since.... well, before Day-1. I was part of their Alpha and Beta test teams. I've been in the telecommunication business for more than 35 years. I've worked for Ma'Bell phone companies. I'm currently in charge of my state government's telephone system. I work with Voip, Digital, and Analog phones. Let's simply say, that I sort of know a thing or two about phones. Especially Voip.

Do I have my house wired into my home phone adapter with voipo? Yes. I've had it set up this way since day-1 of using voipo. I've had it set up this way with 3 other voip providers before VoipO came into existence. I have 10 phones and jacks connected to my voipo adapter. I say this to emphasize the point that I know what I'm doing. Some people know enough to disconnect their phone lines/jacks from the Commercial Telephone Box on the side of their house. This is definitely necessary. Some, who use DSL for their internet, forget that DSL runs over the phone lines too. Many screw up when they try to get all the phone jacks disconnected, but keep the DSL working.

Unfortunately, this isn't the only concern when trying to wire your house for using a Voip adapter. Leaving the commercial line connected and potentially getting phone company voltage on your voip adapter can definitely toast it. Just as destructive however is what is referred to as "REN". Ringer Equivalency Network. In the easiest explanation, it take voltage and obviously current to ring your phone. The more phones you have to ring, the more current is needed. If you have too many phones trying to ring from a voip adapter, the adapter simply can't handle that much current. It will die. How do I get 10 phones connected on my voip adapter I disable all the ringers on the phones except for 3-4. They are strategically placed so no matter where in the house I am, I can hear one of the phones ring. And I've got every kind of phone; from a normal wall phone in the kitchen with caller-ID and to a 1910 Country Junction phone with candle stick receiver and microphone; to a 1957 Pay Phone that use to be in the Fisherman's Warf Restaurant in San Francisco. (Yes, I like phones).

This is why; for MOST PEOPLE; the best way to use a voip adapter, is to connect one of the 4-6 handset cordless phone sets to it. The voip adapter only sees the 1 main base unit plugged into it. All the separate handsets have their own chargers and when the base station sends it a radio signal, it internally uses it's battery to ring the handset. Many of the systems you can buy additional handsets. So you could have 10-15 phones, with chargers, spread all over your house. Yet, the voipo adapter will only see one phone plugged in.

These 2 means of not wiring the house wire properly are only the main issues. There are other possible issues too. Enough not to try and discuss each possible problem. I definitely support VoipO's and other Voip provider's position on "NOT SUPPORTING" "Whole House Voip Phone Wiring". Voip is a great technology. Your Ma'Bell phone company has been using it for more than 30 years. (Yes, you've been using Voip technology for a long time). Just now, you're using your OWN Network (Internet), vs Ma'Bell using their own "Dedicated" network that integrates with other phone companies so you can call all over the world. But the problem when you have individuals use their own network (internet), is you have to hope they know what they're doing. And many of them don't. And as technology improves and advances, customers know even LESS. Today's kid might be better at "USING" computers, tablets, and cell phones; but most of them have absolutely no idea how a network is set up. Today, most people simply plug in devices and turn it on. Many simply turn on their home router; look for the wifi; and connect.

Again, I'm not replying with anything negative to say to the original poster. I am replying 100% for others who might be reading this and wondering why whole house wiring isn't supported. There's too much of a possibility of something going wrong. The real truth is: "If you really know what you're doing...... you DON'T NEED SUPPORT!!! You'd know what to do, you know what could happen, and you know how to fix it if it breaks. And if something does go bad, you have absolutely no problem going on line and buying another adapter. If you have to ask "HOW TO" on anything related to this..... well, you simply have no business messing with it. There's just some things you don't try and talk people through online. This is one of those things. Same with how to replace your circuit breaker panel; how to plumb in a natural gas line in your house; how to remove a gall bladder. Hope this helps some understand why VoipO and other voip providers won't forbid you from wiring your house any way you want to; but they aren't going to support it either. If you call with a phone problem, the first thing they want tested, is your Internet modem/router Connection + Voip Adapter + 1 phone plugged into it. There are so many things in your phones, house, wiring, network, electricity, etc. that can cause problems. They can't possibly anticipate every possible scenario.

And for what it's worth; as an Alpha and Beta tester, I can assure you that VoipO never officially supported whole house wiring. Just like their support of customers having their own adapters instead of one provided by voipo, is more of an "Unofficial" support. They'll do everything they can to help you, but if you can't get it working, they can't help that.
    Mike
    "Born Wild - Raised Proud"
    Do you like your life? - Thank a Vet!!!

I would agree with christcorp, if you have it disconnected from the telco, it could be grounded some where that could fry it by the voltage difference from the grounds. Also if that wasn't a problem the length of wire running around the house can act like an antenna and cause problems too.

Your best bet would be to not use the Voipo's device and get your own ATA then you can do what you want and not damage the Voipo's device.