Thread: Second Stand Alone VIOPo Line

Question Second Stand Alone VIOPo Line

I am currently a VOIPo customer and would like to get a second stand alone line for my parents who recently moved into my home due to economic realities.

I sent in an information, but I think I may not be explaining what I need so perhaps I can be more plain in this forum.

I have one cable modem that is hooked up to a router and I feed all of my internet needs through there. I would like to add a second stand alone VOIPo account for my parents and port their current phone number to the new line.

In one of the responses from your techs, the following line was inserted at the end: "Also, if you have only one ISP coming into the house / one network, it simplifies the network configuration to use one VOIP device rather than two."

That is what I have: one ISP coming into the house and one network.

If adding a second stand alone line is cumbersome for my network, that sentence then makes sense to me. However, at the moment, I am unclear on what exactly is meant by that statement.

I am open to using the Virtual number route if 1) I can port my parent's current number to it and 2) I have the ability to block individual numbers for them from telemarketers, etc.

Could I get some advice on how to proceed, what is the best option, etc.?

Thanks!

Patrick

Default Re: Second Stand Alone VIOPo Line

The Tech was telling you that you could add a virtual number, and use the second port of the VOIPo device you have.

Virtual numbers can be purchased: https://secure.voipo.com/features/local_numbers

Then use the free "upgrade" to assign that number to the second phone port: https://secure.voipo.com/beta/upgrade_line

Then assign the outgoing number for that line by selecting the number from a drop-down at the top of vPanel ...
    Hmmm, I don't see this feature now, maybe someone can fill in the rest?

The "upgraded" virtual number may be better financially than a second device and contract.

Using VOIPo services since February 2007
    Beta Tested the VOIPo Reseller Plan.
    A happy VOIPo Residential Customer

Using VoIP devices since 12-2002
    Companies I've tried
    iConnectHere|Vonage|BroadvoxDirect|Vonage|Packet8| VOIPo
    VOIPo is a keeper!

I have no problem running 2 adapters on my DSL. I even run a soft-phone on my iPhone via wifi from time to time. All works well.

I think what tech support was talking about in reference to the multi adapters was having 2 adapter would require 2 jacks on a router. Depending on your router you would only have 1-2 remaining jacks.

Another way to add a second adapter without using a 2nd port on the router, as zevin mentions, is to daisy-chain the two adapters - go from the LAN port of the first adapter to the WAN port of the second.

You can have your parents number ported to line 2 of your ata that you have now, as a seperate dedicated line (US full local account). Your parents would then have a seperate account that they can log into, seperate from yours.

Quote Originally Posted by wingsohot View Post
    You can have your parents number ported to line 2 of your ata that you have now, as a seperate dedicated line (US full local account). Your parents would then have a seperate account that they can log into, seperate from yours.
    Then you need to pay 2 separate fees. Since his parents moved in for "economic realities" I assume he wants to spend as little as possible,

I have 2 dedicated numbers ported in on the same ATA (PAP2) with the 2nd line for just the yearly cost of a virtual number. The virtual number on line 2 was replaced by my 2nd number. Each line rings separately when it is called (ie: it doesn't work like a virtual number but like having 2 separate numbers). You have independent access to this lines features but you have to log in under the "main account." This feature is what made me signup with Voipo 2 years ago. Between the low rates and this feature my costs are 1/3rd what Vonage was (and I even used to get an employee discount from them).

You do this in vPanel under Features / Beta / 2nd Line.