Thread: Ported ViaTalk Customers - Forwarding Trick

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Ported ViaTalk Customers - Forwarding Trick

Here's an issue coming up with several of you who have ported from VT...

Many of you are in "free" time and you want to use those accounts for an extra outbound line instead of canceling during the free period.

If you haven't canceled your VT account, but have ported your number, calls from other VT customers will be sent to the VT account still instead of us.

Here's what you can do....

VT offers "Internet Forwarding" which is forwarding to a SIP address.

We accept incoming SIP calls in this format:

number@cherrio1.voipo.com

When you forward calls via SIP, it just bypasses the phone number and would route the call directly via SIP therefore avoiding the ported out case.
    Timothy Dick
    Founder/CEO
    VOIPo.com

Interact with VOIPo: Twitter, Facebook

Default Re: Ported ViaTalk Customers - Forwarding Trick

Thanks Tim !! I set Internet Forwarding to my VOIPo number, called my ported number from my VT line, and presto my VOIPo phone started ringing

Quote Originally Posted by Montano View Post
    Thanks Tim !! I set Internet Forwarding to my VOIPo number, called my ported number from my VT line, and presto my VOIPo phone started ringing
    I had asked Tim earlier how to make the correct entries for this in the new VT CP.

Can I just leave my outage number in that field and have it work when necessary?

Do I just enter my VT number in the internet fwd field.

I want to try it, but not having ported yet, I'm not sure what will happen.

In this scenario, will my VOIPo phone ring as well as my VT phone to give me a choice of which one to answer? When I am on the VOIPo phone, what will the caller dialing my VT number hear...ringing, busy, VM, etc?

Thanks..

burris

Since you have not ported, this doesn't really apply to your case.

For now, your outage number will continue to work. For internet forwarding you would enter your current VOIPo number@cherrio1.voipo.com but if you do this all calls to your current VT number will go straight to your VOIPo number. Your VT phone will not ring, but your VOIPo phone will, and the caller dialing your VT number will hear ringing/you/ VOIPo voicemail depending on your setup.

Since you have not ported, this doesn't really apply to your case.

For now, your outage number will continue to work. For internet forwarding you would enter your current VOIPo number@cherrio1.voipo.com but if you do this all calls to your current VT number will go straight to your VOIPo number. Your VT phone will not ring, but your VOIPo phone will, and the caller dialing your VT number will hear ringing/you/ VOIPo voicemail depending on your setup.
    So....although your ported VOIPo number works fine, what happens to your VOIpo phone and service when it routes to VT? Does this just ring to the VT service and allow you to answer via their ATA? Does it ring on both services?
    Are we talking about only those VT-VT customer calls?

burris

My VOIPo service does not route to VT. Tim's post here was specific to VT-VT calls. All other calls will go to wherever your DID is.

My VOIPo service does not route to VT. Tim's post here was specific to VT-VT calls. All other calls will go to wherever your DID is.
    Yeah I meant for people who had already ported out to us. If it stays "inside" ViaTalk's network when another ViaTalk customer calls, VT doesn't know it's been ported away so they route it internally vs sending out to the phone network.

This "internet forwarding" is just like forwarding without using the phone network. Like as in my example of 7135745287@cherrio1.voipo.com, it would send the call to the cherrio1.voipo.com switch to phone number 713-574-5287 directly.
    Timothy Dick
    Founder/CEO
    VOIPo.com

Interact with VOIPo: Twitter, Facebook