Thread: Anonymous, Restriced & blocked calls not being blocked

Default Anonymous, Restriced & blocked calls not being blocked

This has been happening for the last couple weeks. Calls marked anonymous and restricted are not being blocked. There has never been any problem with these type calls being blocked before. I am assuming most of them are political robo-dialed calls but they never got through in the past. All settings in vPanel are correct (same as they have been for 2 years).

Anyone else having this problem? With the political season in full swing I am getting a lot of these calls. Very annoying.

I have submitted a ticket but curious if anyone else is having this problem.

Default Re: Anonymous, Restriced & blocked calls not being blocked

My father had a similar issue a couple of months ago even though vPanel was setup to block such numbers under the Features tab. It appears these callers are really not blocking their numbers but instead spoofing the CID field with a name instead of number. Very tricky!

On his phone CID display, these type of calls showed up as:

Restricted in the CID field instead of a phone number
    Unavailable in the CNAM field

He submitted a ticket and they simply applied a incoming call route rule to block "Restricted". I learned something new, I didn't know you could put a name in the number field instead of phone number.

Go to vPanel, Features tab, select Call Routes, and apply an incoming call route like this:

Call Route Type: Phone Number
    Custom Number: Restricted (type a name here instead of phone number)
    Call Route Action: your choice

I'm not sure about your Anonymous calls but if they are showing up on your CID display the same way above, then I would try setting up a similar call route rule as well.

Yes, I'm having the same problem. I haven't yet opened a ticket, but you've reminded me that I need to do so.

Interesting Tip ... didn't know you could use a name in the field. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by tritch View Post
    My father had a similar issue a couple of months ago even though vPanel was setup to block such numbers under the Features tab. It appears these callers are really not blocking their numbers but instead spoofing the CID field with a name instead of number. Very tricky!

He submitted a ticket and they simply applied a incoming call route rule to block "Restricted". I learned something new, I didn't know you could put a name in the number field instead of phone number.

Go to vPanel, Features tab, select Call Routes, and apply an incoming call route like this:

I'm not sure about your Anonymous calls but if they are showing up on your CID display the same way above, then I would try setting up a similar call route rule as well.

Interesting Tip ... didn't know you could use a name in the field.&nbsp; Thanks.<br><br><br>
    My father had a similar issue a couple of months ago even though vPanel was setup to block such numbers under the Features tab. It appears these callers are really not blocking their numbers but instead spoofing the CID field with a name instead of number. Very tricky!<br>
    <br>
    On his phone CID display, these type of calls showed up as:<br>
    <br>
    <strong>Restricted</strong> in the CID field instead of a phone number<br>
    <strong>Unavailable</strong> in the CNAM field<br>
    <br>
    He submitted a ticket and they simply applied a incoming call route rule to block "Restricted". I learned something new, I didn't know you could put a name in the number field instead of phone number.<br>
    <br>
    Go to vPanel, Features tab, select Call Routes, and apply an incoming call route like this:<br>
    <br>
    Call Route Type: Phone Number<br>
    Custom Number: <strong>Restricted</strong> (type a name here instead of phone number)<br>
    Call Route Action: your choice<br>
    <br>

These are calls I am getting that I assume should be blocked:

It looks like they are spoofing the CID display with Unavailable. If you set up an incoming call route using the name Unavailable as noted in my earlier post, do you still get these type of calls? If so, then I would open a support ticket.

It should look something similar to the highlights in my attachment.
    Attached Files

I know how. I did.

Thanks.

Thumbs up Re: Anonymous, Restriced & blocked calls not being blocked

Thanks for this tip, tritch. Its helping to prevent those annoying telemarketer and political robo calls from getting through.

I believe VOIPo call routes block by alphanumeric characters in the CID field, therefore if you make a rule with "unavailable", it will not be blocked as it is in the CNAM field and not the CID. Adding a call route of "restricted" may work since this is in the CID field.