Thread: How to test network connection

Default How to test network connection

Like many others here, I am considering a switch to VOIPo. My Internet connection is through a community/shared hotspot in an RV park. We don't have any indication of how fast our service is, but it is usually fine for web surfing. Skype works 9 out of 10 times.

So, is there a way to test the service with VOIPo to determine if my Internet connection is adequate?

Thanks,
    Jake

Default Re: How to test network connection

I use the speed and quality test here. This has tests specifically for VoIP quality, which is not just speed but also packet delay and loss. Make sure you select a "yellow pin" server to get the full tests.
    Steve

The good news is that test is great; bad news is my network failed the QOS sub-test. So I won't be trying VOIP any time soon.

@Steve: I like that test. I posted a link to it on my web page. Does anyone have any input as to how accurate these tests are in regards to VOIP service?

@eejake52: While tests are helpful indicators there is no substitutes for a real world test. VOIPo gives a 30 day money back guarantee. Why not give it a try for a few of weeks? That is what I did. If you would be porting a number just hold off sending in the "porting authorization" papers and test with the virtual number you are given. If you are not happy with the service just mail back the ATA and you'll get your money back.

ThorsDad, I can tell you that when that test shows my QoS is bad, my VoIP service is also bad, and when the test is good, my service is good. My ISP was going through a time when packet delays were all over the map, and I was getting 33% packets dropped. Luckily that seems to have been resolved as things have been good for a year or more, now.
    Steve