Thread: connecting VOIPO to house wiring

Default connecting VOIPO to house wiring

New customer here, got the Grandstream adaptor yesterday, works like a charm!

Now I need to connect it to my existing landline wiring in my house.

I have read the Thread about that here:
    http://forums.voipo.com/showthread.p...A-adater-guide.

And I understnad it but have some questions about an alternate method so maybe someone can help.

I live in a condo and may or may not have access to the outside phone company box. Meanwhile I got to looking at what appears to be a small distribution panel inside my condo and I think it is where the line from the outside connects to distribute phone service to my jacks in each room.

I have attached a photo. The cover to the box had marked "line 1" and "line 2" which I have marked in red on the photo. I only have one phone line but I guess at some point in time there were two or it was originally set up for 2 lines.

I still have the AT&T land line service. When I unplug the "line 1" gray wire from the jack the phone service for ALL of my phones in my house go dead. So wouldn't this be the main line in from outside? Couldn't I just unplug this "line 1" and be disconnected from the phone company? (I would unplug line 2 also to be safe). Then couldn't I plug my line out from my Grandstream adaptor to the phone jack in the center (currently connected with the black wire)?

I have googled this but no photos show a box like in my picture.

Default Re: connecting VOIPO to house wiring

That looks like the case. It's hard to tell by that picture though - it is an unusual setup. I think you still have a telephone company disconnect outside your unit, but someone put this in to route the wiring through the house. Unfortunately I don't know that there's a 100% certain way to know that you're disconnected, though from what you're saying it's a pretty good bet.

Default Re: connecting VOIPO to house wiring

I tried it, it works! I disconnected line #1 (and line #2) and put the line out from the Grandstream into the center jack and now have service throughout my house. Before I hooked it up I put a telephone in each jack in the house to make absolutely sure there was no power in each jack.