Thread: on screen caller id

Default on screen caller id

Anyway to make the voipo caller id popup on my computer screen when the phone rings?

How about on my tv screen? My TV is one of those newer internet connect TV's so it is connected to my network and has "apps" but I can not find one for caller id.

Default Re: on screen caller id

Caller ID info is sent down the phone line and not from the Internet. Unless your TV or computer has phone jack input and the proper hardware/software designed to pick up the caller ID info and display it on your screen, your out of luck. An example would be Directv's HD DVR's, they have a phone jack input on the receiver which is designed to not only call out but to read the caller ID info when your phone rings. They've also designed their software to display this caller ID info in a pop-up window on the TV screen. I happen to have one and it works great....

Thanks for your reply. I do have directv in a vacation house but not my main house, it is cable.

How do the cable companies that bundle phone, internet and tv do it?

You are correct, there are rare exceptions where the caller ID data can be retrieved from this type of bundled data stream. Since the phone service comes down the same pipe as the TV, they have specially designed their equipment (TV set top boxes, etc.) to pull this info out of the digital phone service data stream and display it on the TV.

I have this set up on my htpc. If you have an old school modem in your PC, simply plug it into your voipo adapter, then download Yac. Potato!