Thread: Using VOIPO BYOD Only?

Default Using VOIPO BYOD Only?

Hi All -

I've been with VOIPO since late 2008 and have enjoyed the service. Most recently though have been having issues with "dead air" when placing / receiving calls on BOTH of my numbers. I have a single account with the add-on Virtual assigned to Port 2 of the ATA. As part of the troubleshooting process we have replaced the PAP2T (which I loved) and replaced it with the Grandstream (which I hate). ALG is disabled and ports forwarded, but am still experiencing intermittient issues.

I've been toying with the idea of getting a Cisco Unified Communications UC320W along with the SPA525G2 phones This system can use both SIP credentials and . Kind of a mini-PBX / Key system for the house. I don't want to attempt Asterix or any of the other "build a PBX" with an an old PC lying around. Wanting a true small business system but installed in the house.

I know that I'll have to convert my "add-on" line to a full VOIPO package in order to get SIP credentials for it. My question(s) are as follows:
    • Is anyone in the BYOD community using VOIPO as a BYOD provider ONLY and NOT using the ATA? My first objective is to completely do away with the need for the Grandstream
    • When you use SIP Credentials how many simultaneous sessions are allowed per number?
    • Any downfall for only use the BYOD server?
    • I also have looked at VOIP.ms, etc and don't like the pay as you go plan. If would keep me from using the phone as I don't want to worry every month if I'm using too many minutes.
    • What am I missing here in my evaluation of using VOIPO.com BYOD services?
    Any help, recommendations, ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks very much.

Dean T Rose
    Dallas, TX
    Proud VoIPo.com Customer since Dec 2008

Default Re: Using VOIPO BYOD Only?

I'm strictly BYOD using asterisk, it's not as hokey as you think and most version of Call manager(CISCO) I could think of have run on a linux server as well. anyway...

I've tried two outbound calls, simply because I don't see a need for more in my house. I also limited the trunk calls to three as feel as though I'd be taking advantage of voipo if I ran more and don't want to stir the pot so to speak. There was no issue having two seperate calls going at the same time to the PSTN.

I've had no problems on the voipo side of things since I resolved some cable modem issues. The only thing I ran into was losing the provisioning when messed around in the voipo control panel, hooking up the ta resolved the issue and then I was able to disconnect it and restart asterisk. Talking with support the advice I got was don't do that, which I can agree with.

Setup QOS on your router, I have asterisk handle rtp between VOIPO and the end point for many reasons one being to aid in the QOS setup.

The nicest thing about BYOD is I have a droid that connects to my asterisk server and is part of the ring group. I can then have my home phone anywhere I am. Also since VOIPO only, officially, supports G711 I can have my droid use GSM to the asterisk box and then have it convert it to G711 to voipo which works well over 3G. Also all the in house phones run G722, the droid does when on WIFI, so I get hi def audio for in house calls.