Thread: 911 calls

Default 911 calls

I had to call 911 to get a paramedic today and used my voipo line instead of my pots line.
    I had to give my address, city and zip code to an operator, who then dialed my local 911 operator. This extra delay and degraded voice quality could be a major factor in a life or death situation.

In a normal 911 system the PSAP (public safety answering point) gets ANI (auto number ID) and ALI (auto location ID) information when the call is received. I expected this to be the case with voipo, but apparently it isn't.

Default Re: 911 calls

Yes, our E911 partner passes location information when routing you to the correct PSAP. As long as you have setup the address in vPanel, then it is registered with our E911 partner and the information will be passed.

Occasionally we run across centers that have not yet upgraded their infrastructure and can't receive the information. The last I heard, it was approximate 8% of PSAPs that were still using old infrastructure. In those cases, the call would be routed to the correct local PSAP but they would not have the address informaiton.

You can learn more about the E911 service that we use here: http://www.inetwork.com/products/eme...ervices/9-1-1/

You can contact support@voipo.com and we can verify your information with the E911 provider and they can check to see if it's just a situation where your PSAP has not upgraded or if there was something wrong.
    Last edited by VOIPoTim; 12-07-2011 at 08:46 AM.
    Timothy Dick
    Founder/CEO
    VOIPo.com

Interact with VOIPo: Twitter, Facebook

Default Re: 911 calls

My address shows in the E911 screen in cpanel.
    Outside of the extra time delay my biggest concern was the degraded audio quality of the call after your 911 service called my local PSAP. Is there a way to just forward the call once the proper PSAP is identified?
    Once my PSAP answered your 911 operator went through a 10 second speech about her operator number and the fact in was a voip call, is there a way to eliminate that?