Thread: traditional faxe

Default traditional faxe

I just signed up to test service. My voice connection is working fine. I am trying to solve my traditional fax problem--aware that many have gone down this path. I would like if at all possible to get my fax machine to work so I don't have to create a new fax number. Are there any suggestions for getting it to work? I've tried the most obvious ones. My current fax machine was able to respond to both voice and fax on the same line when with Qwest.

Default Re: traditional faxe

What aspect of it doesn't work? Does the machine not pick up the line? Does it not recognize the fax tone? Or do you get errors sending or receiving faxes?

VoIPO says that their lines are "tuned" for voice and not for modems or faxes. Some people manage to get fax machines to work - you could try setting the speed lower. I have also heard of the trick of inserting a DSL filter between the fax machine and the phone line. There are no guarantees.
    Steve

I just tried to send a fax. The number that I sent it to received the fax from me, but their machine could not open it, some kind of an error. I did a search, and found this thread. So I assume I can not send or receive a fax? Odd, even the cheap Magic Jack would send faxes. I do have a DSL filter attached, and still it did not work. Is there any other trick to sending a fax and getting it to work?

Faxes will be hit or miss with voip providers. They're usually never guaranteed to work. In fact, this is stated in Voipo "Terms of Service":

http://www.voipo.com/tos.php

"Service Limitations

Due to the nature of all VoIP services, VOIPo service is not designed to be used for data connections with modems, home security systems, fax machines and related devices. It is optimized for voice only and you may experience issues and inconsistencies when using VOIPo service in non-voice scenarios."

They do however offer as a courtesy to their customers free outgoing faxes. Just log into vpanel, go to Features tab, click Fax. I've used it several times and it works good. There's no restriction that I know of unless someone abuses it (sends excessive faxes). If you want a dedicated fax service with both incoming and outgoing abilities, then you will have order a fax number from their order page found at the same link.

Quote Originally Posted by tritch View Post
    Faxes will be hit or miss with voip providers. They're usually never guaranteed to work. In fact, this is stated in Voipo "Terms of Service":

http://www.voipo.com/tos.php

"Service Limitations

Due to the nature of all VoIP services, VOIPo service is not designed to be used for data connections with modems, home security systems, fax machines and related devices. It is optimized for voice only and you may experience issues and inconsistencies when using VOIPo service in non-voice scenarios."

They do however offer as a courtesy to their customers free outgoing faxes. Just log into vpanel, go to Features tab, click Fax. I've used it several times and it works good. There's no restriction that I know of unless someone abuses it (sends excessive faxes). If you want a dedicated fax service with both incoming and outgoing abilities, then you will have order a fax number from their order page found at the same link.
    Now that is good to know! Thank you tritch!

I played with getting my fax modem to work with VOIPo. I did the usual stuff such as slowing the baud rate and attaching a DSL filter backwards. I never could get my faxes to be at all reliable. If you need to do heavy duty faxing with an office fax machine I suggest you keep a POTS line for it. For low volume faxing use the VOIPo Betafax feature for outgoing fax and get a $36 a year VOIPo Cloud Number for incoming fax to email. Or if you are really cheap (like me) you can get a free number from Voxox.com/ that will do free fax to email.

As with anything else, the ISP, home network, equipment, etc... will all play a part in the fax equation. What I did, and it works 100% of the time (I've never faxed more than a 4 page document, so i guess 100% might be over exaggerating), anyway, this is what I did.

Looked for a 9600 baud fax machine. I found one on clearance at Staples. A Brother Intellifax 775 for $29.99. I didn't want one that I had to slow down. For what it's worth, I also found and bought a panasonic 9600 baud at a pawn shop for $10. I bought the brother because it made for a really quick, quality not important, copier. Anyway; I also made sure that I "Turned OFF" ECM. Now, in some fax machines, the instructions to turn off ECM is in the instructions. Some, like my Brother 775, I did an internet search and found the key sequence. E.g. With power unplugged, hold menu button and power up, etc... Anyway; it's always 9600 baud and the ECM is off. I fax only 2-3 times a month, but I have no problem sending or receiving. FWIW: I've tried my all in one HP 8500 mega printer, and I can't get the fax to work on Voip. But the good old Brother 775 and Panasonic work just fine. Mike...
    Mike
    "Born Wild - Raised Proud"
    Do you like your life? - Thank a Vet!!!

I have an old Hewlett Packard 9600 baud machine in moth balls. Can you receive a fax as well?

Disregard post. I re-read the last post stating he can send an receive a fax.
    Last edited by markbet; 01-30-2012 at 02:54 PM. Reason: re-read last post