Thread: Calls Dropping at 15 minute mark?

Default Calls Dropping at 15 minute mark?

For the past couple of months, I've started receiving reports of occasional call drops, always at the 15 minute mark.

We play around with the usual... port forwarding, disabling sip alg, setting "nat=yes" in the client device.

Nothing seems to permanently fix the issue. It seems to come and go. A number that worked for years, will suddenly start dropping at 15 minute mark. Then the next day it works fine.

Anyone else have this problem.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Default Re: Calls Dropping at 15 minute mark?

I have seen this quite a bit. It always seems to be with sip session timers. Inbound calls have no issues, but outbound calls do have issues. It seems that certain downstream carriers are not getting all of the traffic needed from voipo's servers or the downstream carriers just have poor implementations.

I personally have switched all of my outbound calling to another provider due to the call issues with voipo outbound service. **Note I have seen this with other providers on and off, but voipo seems to have this issue more often than others**

Yes, biomesh, I believe you are correct.

I talked to an asterisk guru who said voipo uses a "forced" session timer instead of an optional/support session timer.

It was a bit over my head, but something unique about the voipo headers compared to some other providers.

There is a "session-timers" variable that can be set in asterisk to help address this difference.

I tried it, and it seems to have resolved the issue for at least one customer.

Oddly though, the problem does not exist with all calls or customers. So there's still some other unique condition that triggers it.

Perhaps a combination of which upstream carrier is being used for a particular call?

Yes, I have played around with the session-timers setting in asterisk and it doesn't fix it for all of the situations. Voipo uses some upstream providers with timer issues and does not have anything in place to address the issue. Normally what voipo does is bypass the issue by using a route treatment to go to a different provider, but this happens on quite a few numbers and I can't keep submitting tickets for this.

Another voip provider that does not proxy the audio can still have this issue since the communication bypasses the provider once the call is established. For the provider I have no issues with, they do proxy the audio, but I have zero issues. It could be something else other than the audio proxying that addresses the issue, but I do know that voipo doesn't handle it well.