Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Don't hear ringing of called phone

Default Don't hear ringing of called phone

When I call another phone from my Voipo-connected phone, I don't hear the other phone ringing. There is silence until someone answere the phone or it goes to the persons voice mail. Is this a general problem with Voipo? How can I fix it?

Default Re: Don't hear ringing of called phone

This problem seems to be cropping up more and more lately. When I started a couple months ago with VOIPo I didn't have it. But over the past couple weeks I'd say I see this on about 50% of my outbound phone calls. Usually I just hang up and try the call again and it works. Another bug on the VOIPo side.

I can call from my phone but can't receive calls. Used tech support yesterday. Spent the whole day on the problem with no fix. Called again today and a different tech said my number forwarding won't be complete for 10 days so I won't be able to receive calls. They should have told me that in the 1st place. I thought it was going to be a plug and play type of thing.
    Also the tech yesterday logged into my computer to reconfigure. Now I can only get online if my adapter is hooked up to my DSL modem. If I unhook the adapter and just use my modem to get online it won't work. So far......not happy! Way to much time wasted. Plus this is a business line so not a lot of room for error!

I just hooked my Voipo service up. I have an intermittent problem of making a call, but I do not hear the ringing of the dialed number either. Is there something I need to further do to correct this?

Most of the issues described in this thread sound like NAT issues. 99% of issues customer experience are related to routers/NAT. What happens in some cases is that the router lets the "signaling traffic" through but then when the audio stream connections on a different port it blocks it thinking it's unrelated or "malicious traffic". Many routers to try to be smarter than they are basically.

This can usually be connecting our device directly to your modem (if it doesn't have a router built in) or by assigning a static IP to the device and setting up port forwarding for ports 5004-65000 UDP to it.

Ultimately there's nothing we can do to force traffic through a router except help you configure the router to handle it. Issues that are sporadic are even more likely to be NAT related like this because the ports are randomly chosen and sometimes (when it works with no issues) we could be in one port range and then other times (when you have issues) it's in a different port range that the router doesn't like.

99% of the time it's NAT/routers that cause issues. Our support team can try to help you diagnose, but if you are having issues and don't setup port forwarding it's almost 100% guaranteed that you'll continue to have them.
    Timothy Dick
    Founder/CEO
    VOIPo.com

Interact with VOIPo: Twitter, Facebook

I have an AT&T 2Wire 2701HG-B router. I have NO idea what you are talking about "port forwarding"? My technical ability is "plug it in and play", if it doesn't work, I am screwed. If more is needed from me, I am already out of the game. So what do we technical dummies need to do?

Tim,

While what you say is true for some cases I strongly feel there is a problem on Voipo's side. I have the proper ports forwarded and an IP assigned to the device. The problem comes and goes as it wants to. And like I've stated here in this forum over and over my previous Voip provider didn't have any of these problems that Voipo has. I used the same internet provider and modem for the 3 years I had VYL Media. It worked 100% of the time. Blaming the customers set up or equipment is getting really old. It's a problem on the Voipo side and it has been getting worse. And just like clockwork it will clear up for a couple weeks and then the problem comes back slowly at first and gets worse. It's a continuous cycle. I came here to save money. I think I made a mistake to be honest. Don't know if Voipo cut corners with their equipment or what. But your service just doesn't work as well as others.

I too am now encountering this issue - the last two calls I made (one yesterday and one today) had just silence until the call was picked up. I do use port forwarding. Ticket has been filed.
    Steve

If you experience this, please send call examples to support@voipo.com with Call Samples for Tier II in subject.

We still don't see anything on our end or any patterns but it does sound like several people are having the issue. With call samples maybe we can look closer and find a pattern. It's possible it's a particular upstream carrier that if we see a pattern (such as all the same carrier) then we could isolate.
    Timothy Dick
    Founder/CEO
    VOIPo.com

Interact with VOIPo: Twitter, Facebook

I sent the requested information to your support people this morning. I received an email response back that basically did not even address the issue nor the information I gave. All the tech did was deflect blame once again for problems that are obvioulsy not on the customer side. It was a complete waste of my time to send the information you requested. Obviously VOIPo has no desire to fix this issue. Only to deflect the blame as usual. I have requested my account be cancelled.