Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Lots of dropped calls, Loss of Registration issues

Default Re: Lots of dropped calls, Loss of Registration issues

Having played with this stuff for a very long time, I decided to do some forced reboots and registration.
    1. I rebooted the voipo adapter. That didn't seem to do much. Many inbound calls still rang, but dead air when I answered. Outbound no problems.
    2. I rebooted my router. Same as #1. Inbound calls were still hit or miss as far as connecting or getting dead air. Outbound still never been a problem.
    3. I then logged into vpanel and in beta, assigned my virtual number to port 2 of the adapter. Rebooted adapter and forced server to re-register. I then changed it back to primary number; rebooted and forced the server to re-register. Finally, did it a 3rd time and assigned the virtual number to port 2 of the adapter; rebooted, and forced the server to re-register.

I've only experimented with 3 inbound calls. 1 from a POTS line and 2 from 2 separate cell phones. So far, ALL 3 inbound calls worked fine. No more dead air. I'll monitor for the next few days to see how it goes. Also, FWIW, I don't use QOS, Port Forwarding, or DMZ on my router. I have 30mb down and 5mb up internet, so QOS isn't an issue.

For those who don't have a virtual number to play with and force re-registration; I'm sure you all have failover established. Probably to your cell phone. Simply unplug the power to the voip adapter and LEAVE it unplugged. It will take a few minutes, but the servers will go to failover and forward calls to your cell or wherever you told it to. When you know your inbound calls are in fact being "Failedover" (If that's a word); simply plug back in your voip adapter and allow the voipo server to re-register with the adapter. See if this helps. Like I said, I'm simply experimenting, and I figured it couldn't hurt to force my account to be rebooted. No promises, but so far, (3 calls), mine is working better. I'll comment tomorrow to say if I got any more dead air inbound calls. later... mike...
    Mike
    "Born Wild - Raised Proud"
    Do you like your life? - Thank a Vet!!!

Having played with this stuff for a very long time, I decided to do some forced reboots and registration.

1. I rebooted the voipo adapter. That didn't seem to do much. Many inbound calls still rang, but dead air when I answered. Outbound no problems.
    2. I rebooted my router. Same as #1. Inbound calls were still hit or miss as far as connecting or getting dead air. Outbound still never been a problem.
    3. I then logged into vpanel and in beta, assigned my virtual number to port 2 of the adapter. Rebooted adapter and forced server to re-register. I then changed it back to primary number; rebooted and forced the server to re-register. Finally, did it a 3rd time and assigned the virtual number to port 2 of the adapter; rebooted, and forced the server to re-register.

I've only experimented with 3 inbound calls. 1 from a POTS line and 2 from 2 separate cell phones. So far, ALL 3 inbound calls worked fine. No more dead air. I'll monitor for the next few days to see how it goes. Also, FWIW, I don't use QOS, Port Forwarding, or DMZ on my router. I have 30mb down and 5mb up internet, so QOS isn't an issue.<br><br>For those who don't have a virtual number to play with and force re-registration; I'm sure you all have failover established. Probably to your cell phone. Simply unplug the power to the voip adapter and LEAVE it unplugged. It will take a few minutes, but the servers will go to failover and forward calls to your cell or wherever you told it to. When you know your inbound calls are in fact being "Failedover" (If that's a word); simply plug back in your voip adapter and allow the voipo server to re-register with the adapter. See if this helps. Like I said, I'm simply experimenting, and I figured it couldn't hurt to force my account to be rebooted. No promises, but so far, (3 calls), mine is working better. I'll comment tomorrow to say if I got any more dead air inbound calls. later... mike...
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by burris View Post
    Brandon....

Excellent explanation of how it works...as well as an offer that anyone in trouble should not pass up..

I don't know of any other provider who comes to the table as VOIPo does when it comes to dealing with its customers.
    +1. Tim and Brandon have always provided the best customer service available.
    P.S. I'm going to add to this reply, because for some reason, I'm unable to reply to this thread directly. (Probably me). Anyway; here's some advice/experiment. Mike....

I've only experimented with 3 inbound calls. 1 from a POTS line and 2 from 2 separate cell phones. So far, ALL 3 inbound calls worked fine. No more dead air. I'll monitor for the next few days to see how it goes. Also, FWIW, I don't use QOS, Port Forwarding, or DMZ on my router. I have 30mb down and 5mb up internet, so QOS isn't an issue.<br><br>For those who don't have a virtual number to play with and force re-registration; I'm sure you all have failover established. Probably to your cell phone. Simply unplug the power to the voip adapter and LEAVE it unplugged. It will take a few minutes, but the servers will go to failover and forward calls to your cell or wherever you told it to. When you know your inbound calls are in fact being "Failedover" (If that's a word); simply plug back in your voip adapter and allow the voipo server to re-register with the adapter. See if this helps. Like I said, I'm simply experimenting, and I figured it couldn't hurt to force my account to be rebooted. No promises, but so far, (3 calls), mine is working better. I'll comment tomorrow to say if I got any more dead air inbound calls. later... mike...
    Last edited by christcorp; 01-21-2012 at 06:35 PM.
    Mike

Having a problem replying to this thread. I'll try again.

I've only experimented with 3 inbound calls. 1 from a POTS line and 2 from 2 separate cell phones. So far, ALL 3 inbound calls worked fine. No more dead air. I'll monitor for the next few days to see how it goes. Also, FWIW, I don't use QOS, Port Forwarding, or DMZ on my router. I have 30mb down and 5mb up internet, so QOS isn't an issue.

For those who don't have a virtual number to play with and force re-registration; I'm sure you all have failover established. Probably to your cell phone. Simply unplug the power to the voip adapter and LEAVE it unplugged. It will take a few minutes, but the servers will go to failover and forward calls to your cell or wherever you told it to. When you know your inbound calls are in fact being "Failedover" (If that's a word); simply plug back in your voip adapter and allow the voipo server to re-register with the adapter. See if this helps. Like I said, I'm simply experimenting, and I figured it couldn't hurt to force my account to be rebooted. No promises, but so far, (3 calls), mine is working better. I'll comment tomorrow to say if I got any more dead air inbound calls. later... mike...
    Mike

Mike....

I like your thinking but maybe we need to separate those with BYOD vs. VOIPo supplied. Where VOIPo supplied the devices they remain provisioning enabled and I would think that any configs and such could be done on line by them. In fact I believe one could do a factory reset and if in a passthrough mode, will be re-provisioned online. If so, that might do a complete re-registration. Don't know about those who usethe box for ATA/router combo.
    For those with their own boxes such as you and I have, lots of things could be tried. I'm also from the do it yourself school but since I'm getting older and older, I have had excellent success by keeping my boxes with provisioning enabled. With my SPA 2102 which is my favorite by the way, VOIPo doesn't have online provisioning but I have mirrored all the settings they supply from my PAP2T and GS502.

looks like some of my posts caught up. LOL!!!!

Anyway; it's been about 24 hours or so. I did 4 more inbound calls. 1 from a POTS line and 3 from 3 different cell phones. I purposely answered one on the first ring, and the others at various points such as 2nd ring and 3rd ring. (Obviously I could go past that or voicemail would kick in). Anyway; I was able to receive and talk both ways on all 4 calls. So I think it's worth a try for some who are having an issue. The easiest method to force the server to get involved and re-register, is to power off your voip adapter. Doesn't matter if it's provided by VoipO or you have your own. Leave it off and let the voipo server go to failover. You should be getting calls to your cell phone if that's your failover. Or to voicemail if that's how you have it set up. If you don't have failover configured or don't know what I'm talking about, just power off your voip adapter before you go shopping and leave it off until you get home. Then, when you're sure that the servers are re-routing to failover, plug your adapter back in and power it up. Give it a few minutes to not only re-establish a connection, but for the server to route normally. So far it's worked for me, but I don't have a large enough sampling size to be 100% sure. I like to play and experiment, and while computers can be useful, we all know they can be finicky. And a voip system is nothing more than computers. Anyway; that's my $0.0284848389 (inflation). Mike.....
    Mike

Most of the dropped/dead air calls seemed to have gone away. There was a dropped call yesterday, but this was addressed by Brandon. Hopefully, this fixes the issue.

We've been experiencing a bit of this also...but on some of those calls, if we remain on the line for an extra moment and the caller does as well, it seems to connect after a few extra seconds. Sounds strange but these kinds of things are hard to diagnose.
    Burris,

My father started having this issue within the last month or so. About 10-20% of his incoming calls have a 1-2 second delay after answering the call before his phone begins to transmit audio. You often don't hear "Hello" or the first few words that he speaks after he answers the phone, then it starts to work normally. Is this the same issue you're talking about? If so, do you have your SPA2102 registered to the BYOD server? Are you still experiencing this random issue? If not, what did you do to fix it? I'm hesitant to blame Voipo for this issue because we both have the same setup with a SPA2102 and I don't experience this issue at all. The only difference is that I'm registered to sip-central01 and he's registered to the BYOD server. BTW, I should mention that I did have him try hooking up a hardwired phone instead his cordless phone to the ATA, but it didn't seem to make any difference.
    Last edited by tritch; 01-22-2012 at 05:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tritch View Post
    Most of the dropped/dead air calls seemed to have gone away. There was a dropped call yesterday, but this was addressed by Brandon. Hopefully, this fixes the issue.

Burris,

My father started having this issue within the last month or so. About 10-20% of his incoming calls have a 1-2 second delay after answering the call before his phone begins to transmit audio. You often don't hear "Hello" or the first few words that he speaks after he answers the phone, then it starts to work normally. Is this the same issue you're talking about? If so, do you have your SPA2102 registered to the BYOD server? Are you still experiencing this random issue? If not, what did you do to fix it? I'm hesitant to blame Voipo for this issue because we both have the same setup with a SPA2102 and I don't experience this issue at all. The only difference is that I'm registered to sip-central01 and he's registered to the BYOD server. BTW, I should mention that I did have him try hooking up a hardwired phone instead his cordless phone to the ATA, but it didn't seem to make any difference.
    Mine may be a bit different since because I'm grandfathered in, I can use any of my ATAs and hook up directly..

I experienced exactly what your father did...I was on my GS502 and had provisioning enabled and they had me on Central. I live in South Florida. The first thing I did was to switch to East..had to disable provisioning to do so. Seemed to be better, but I fired up my favorite SPA2102 ...put it on East and it hasn't missed since..

A few posters seem to have had luck with a 30 second power reboot of their ATA. Maybe try that and if it works, maybe do it periodically.

In another post, Brandon offered a few possible scenarios as to what may be happening. If your problem continues, I would suggest contacting him...he knows his stuff..

I experienced exactly what your father did...I was on my GS502 and had provisioning enabled and they had me on Central. I live in South Florida. The first thing I did was to switch to East..had to disable provisioning to do so. Seemed to be better, but I fired up my favorite SPA2102 ...put it on East and it hasn't missed since....
    Thanks. Rebooting the ATA didn't help. The fact that you were on Central seems to rule out a BYOD server issue. So, changing your SIP server routing improved things but didn't totally eliminate it. It seems like some sort of delayed SIP signaling issue. I suspect you started having this problem around the same time he did and I have to wonder how many others have but never reported it. You just never know how many things are getting tinkered with behind the scenes (softlayer, SIP servers, carriers, etc) that are causing these strange new problems to appear......

Brandon....

Excellent explanation of how it works...as well as an offer that anyone in trouble should not pass up..

I don't know of any other provider who comes to the table as VOIPo does when it comes to dealing with its customers.
    Amen. I don't spend much time on this forum any more, but VOIPo has their **** together when it comes to support. I've been with them long enough to know....