Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Can't Hear the caller - New User

Default Re: Can't Hear the caller - New User

Quote Originally Posted by gatorsean View Post
    Please note a hub is not a switch and a switch is not a hub, but i agree...sounds like a port forwarding issue.

I agree with burris: modem ---> router --->devices.
    Port forwarding issue? Maybe. But I'm encountering the same issue for the past few months and have done everything including port forwarding and setting the PAP in a DMZ and nothing has worked.

I'm having the same issue. Occasionally, when we make calls out of the house, the person we call can hear us, but we can't hear them. If we try a couple of times, it connects properly. Unfortunately, I am not as tech-savvy as a lot of VOIP users, so I'm not getting what a lot of you are talking about in this thread. For example, I don't know what "port forwarding" is.

Can you help a newb out? How do I fix this?

Thanks.
    -John

Ok, I put the Grandstream behind the router as suggested and forward UDP ports 5004-65000. Currently it seems to work. We'll see if it still works after a few days.

Tritch is totally correct. With your initial configuration, the ONLY way it would work properly is if you were paying for 2 IP addresses from your ISP, or the Modem was ALSO a router, and was putting out 2 Private IP addresses. e.g 192.168.0.10 and 192.168.0.20. If the input (WAN) of the router and the input (WAN-Internet) connection of the voip adapter were getting the SAME IP address; because the modem was only putting out 1 IP address; then all hell will happen.
    Mike
    "Born Wild - Raised Proud"
    Do you like your life? - Thank a Vet!!!

Thumbs down Re: Can't Hear the caller - New User

As a Voipo user I am seeing a pattern on these forums, every one is having problems, then Voipo turns around and blames YOUR network on their problems. When the problem is in their own network. OK, all my PCs and Roku boxes work Just fine, why cant the stupid VOIP do the same? It is like an endless game of, contact tech support>make system adjustments>get intermittent service>have more problems>REPEAT!

I was with Vonage for 3 years on my same crappy network and service was 10X better, and I only left Vonage for the call blocking feature, price was not the issues, and I pressed Vonage to get call blocking or I was going to leave them, I should have bought a call blocking device and saved my sell a ton of money in wasted productivity.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob1962 View Post
    As a Voipo user I am seeing a pattern on these forums, every one is having problems, then Voipo turns around and blames YOUR network on their problems. When the problem is in their own network. OK, all my PCs and Roku boxes work Just fine, why cant the stupid VOIP do the same? It is like an endless game of, contact tech support>make system adjustments>get intermittent service>have more problems>REPEAT!

I was with Vonage for 3 years on my same crappy network and service was 10X better, and I only left Vonage for the call blocking feature, price was not the issues, and I pressed Vonage to get call blocking or I was going to leave them, I should have bought a call blocking device and saved my sell a ton of money in wasted productivity.

Amen!!! Someone else that has noticed this. I have been saying this for months. I'm so glad someone else has taken notice.

No one is blaming VOIPo, I came here to see if I could resolve MY problem, I haven't even opened a ticket, peroid.

Thank you tritch and christcorp for your help/info.
    Last edited by brmstech; 01-26-2012 at 02:56 PM.

every one is having problems
    Not true- I have three separate numbers and they all work flawlessly. Ones a company line so you know I wont take any crap when it comes to that line... As is usually the case, only those with issues will show up to a forum or tech support line looking for help.

brmstech- What model modem are you using?

Is the device after the modem a switch or a hub? Model please?

Can you call your ISP and ask how many IP's they give you? Im cable and I can get two. Other cable companies will only give you one.
    I Void Warranties.

Thanks for the come back, chpalmer. Currently, I have hooked the modem directly to the router (as other members have suggested)and have taken the switch out of the configuration. So far no problems, but it only happens every few days. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the switch was the problem.
    Info:
    Service: AT&T DSL
    Modem: Motorola DSL Modem 2210-02-1006
    Switch: 3Com Dual Speed Switch 3c16793
    Router: D-Link Dir-655
    Last edited by brmstech; 01-26-2012 at 04:27 PM.

Cool-

Is your modem in bridge mode with the D-Link handling the ppp login or is the modem left as default?

The modem is also a router.
    Last edited by chpalmer; 01-26-2012 at 05:03 PM.
    I Void Warranties.