Thread: SIP calling

Default SIP calling

Does sip-sip calling cost user minutes?

Default Re: SIP calling

If by SIP calling you mean calling a SIP address as in user@domain.com then no that's not billable. Our system supports SIP addresses throughout.

Basically anything that hits a phone number or leaves the VOIPo network to anything other than a SIP Address is billable.
    Timothy Dick
    Founder/CEO
    VOIPo.com

Interact with VOIPo: Twitter, Facebook

Tim

So does that mean if i call another number that is using a VOIP provider its not billable? or even a google number? thanks

chevyman, I believe that in order for those calls to be free, you would have to place the call using a SIP address rather than a 10 digit phone number.

You could also experiment with setting up a custom route for a number that forwards to the corresponding SIP address (but I haven't tested this myself).

Quote Originally Posted by chevyman View Post
    Tim

So does that mean if i call another number that is using a VOIP provider its not billable? or even a google number? thanks
    This is incorrect.

Essentially if we have to route the call outside of the IP level and to the "public network" then the call is billed.

If we are able to peer directly, i.e. with a SIP Address -- think of this much like an "email address", i.e. sip:user@host than the call is free.

So to further clarify -- if you were to call a Vonage phone number via their ten digit phone number the call would not be free.