Thread: Feature Request - Notification of ATA Loss of Server Connection

Default Feature Request - Notification of ATA Loss of Server Connection

It would be very helpful to receive an e-mail notification when the VOIPo servers have lost a connection with an ATA. This only needs to be a one-time notice. Further, if the ATA (mine is a Grandstream) can indicate when a lost connection occurs by having no dial tone, that would also be helpful.

Currently, with the Grandstream ATA, the only way to know when the ATA is not connected is to make a call that never gets connected.

Thanks for the consideration!

Default Re: Feature Request - Notification of ATA Loss of Server Connection

Thanks, Tritch, that is helpful. I now know that an e-mail notification will not be done.

However, I'm still curious about why the Grandstream ATA provides a dial tone when not connected to the Voipo servers. I seem to remember that other brands of ATA do not provide dial tone when not connected to servers.

Thanks again!

Yes, the Linksys ATA's have no dial tone when it's not registered (I'm using a Linksys SPA2102). I don't know that much about the HT502, but I did a little research and you should be getting an IVR message when you pick up the handset that says "Device not registered". I took a quick look at the HT502 user manual and it states you will only get this message if the "Outgoing Call Without Registration" is set to NO. I suspect your ATA has been mistakenly programmed with this option set to YES. Just contact support and have them change this setting in your ATA. The information below is from their User Manual:

“Device not registered” - This prompt will be played immediately after off hook If the device is not register and the option “Outgoing Call without Registration” is in NO

"Outgoing Call without Registration" - Default is No. If set to “Yes,” user can place outgoing calls even when not registered but is unable to receive incoming calls.

Perfect, trich, this is exactly what I need. Thanks for looking at the manual (I should have done it myself!). I'll put in a support request now.

Thanks again,

Rob

So, I worked with Voipo support to have the "Outgoing Call Without Registration" set to "NO" on both FXS ports. I had to actually call them and they had to remote into my network and then into the ATA, but once there, the change was quick and easy.

I'm happy with the result, since if the ATA loses registration, I now know it as soon as I pick up a handset.

Quite honestly, I'm surprised that this isn't the default behavior for Voip.

Trich, thanks for pointing all of this out!