Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Broadband speed

Default Re: Broadband speed

Quote Originally Posted by holmes4 View Post
    Here's a simple suggestion - run the test here , selecting a server that offers "Quality Testing" (yellow pin). Run the test and look at the Connection Summary.
    I didn't want to specify this particular server, because it's run by Voipo's competitor (but it is among the best available)

Well, pingtest.com is not a competitor and can give you some of the same info.
    Steve

I definitely respect the feedback. Especially when it's respectful. Thanks ymhee.

The best answer to the original question then should have been: "It Depends". I bring this up because not too long ago, an individual had major voip issues. He swore that his 8mb/2mb was fine, and refused to believe that bandwidth was an issue. Turns out, he was converting the phones for his small business to voip. It's an insurance agency. 4 people working there. Turns out that even though the agents weren't doing a lot of surfing or downloading; they had a piece of software for their job that is constantly connected to a server at the main insurance company server, and it continually monitors; downloads; and uploads data. Even QOS wasn't going to help this. It didn't hurt any normal internet traffic because the application automatically uses less bandwidth as you need more. But voip is real time traffic. You can only buffer so much of it.

Anyway; I guess the answer to any person asking if they have enough bandwidth/speed for voip; is; "It depends". Depends on what you're going to use the bandwidth for.
    Mike
    "Born Wild - Raised Proud"
    Do you like your life? - Thank a Vet!!!

Quote Originally Posted by JoeU View Post
    OK I admit it I have no idea what most of what you guys are talking about but I feel like this is the right place to get an answer.

My cable internet provider has told me that I have 384 kbps upload and 1 mbps download capability. Will this work with the Voipo Basic Residential plan?

Thank you

Joe
    Technical answer to your question is YES
    Practical answer is NO, you will experience a lot of choppy unclear voice experience. If you want to enjoy the freedom of VoIP, better to upgrade your internet connection.

Also do a VoIP speed test on your existing connection and copy paste the results here so that technical people from VOIPO can give some correct advise.

http://myspeed.visualware.com/indexvoip.php

Click on North America and from the next screen select any YELLOW pin that is close to your location.
    Once the test is done, Click on the Graph tab from the test results, and within that box you will find "Click here for detailed analysis", click on it. A new page will be opened with your test results.
    Just copy the first part of results here excluding your IP address.
    Last edited by JacobsLive; 07-27-2013 at 12:32 AM. Reason: corrected some information.