Thread: test your buffer bloat - this may be a problem Voipo can't overcome

Default test your buffer bloat - this may be a problem Voipo can't overcome

http://netalyzr.icsi.berkeley.edu/

When I came across this after reading about it at

https://www.grc.com/sn/sn-345.htm

I ran the test and found I had a 2.8 to 3.4 seconds uplink buffer time.

My mom and I have had intermittent problems with our voipo services since day 1, I suspect this has a lot to do with this.

I'd like to see some other results posted. My ISP, dslextreme.com, says they can't do anything about it.

My opinion is they could but don't know how to.

I ran the test from my mom's PC and got 560 msec after she left her dsl provider. I wish I had known about this delay earlier, I just dropped her voipo account because she had as many problems as I did and was also on dslextreme.

I moved her voice and internet to time warner, but after not being able to call my mom for 2 months I had to do something to correct her problems.

BTW Tim, I still get a busy signal every time I call her, I suspect you still have her number in your system so I never get passed to the PSTN, I'm guessing your post porting process misses this, something similar happened when she switched over to Voipo before AT+T ported her number.
    See ticket CJF-281793 for details.

Default Re: test your buffer bloat - this may be a problem Voipo can't overcome

I used this tool a while back and I remember it being quite erroneous. That said, it appears these issues have been resolved. I have 20/5 DSL service from Qwest at home and the analyzer reported the following for my network buffers:

Code:
    Network buffer measurements (?): Uplink is good, Downlink 120 ms

We were not able to produce enough traffic to load the uplink buffer, or the uplink buffer is particularly small. You probably have excellent behavior when uploading files and attempting to do other tasks.

We estimate your downlink as having 120 msec of buffering. This level may serve well for maximizing speed while minimizing the impact of large transfers on other traffic.
    For what it’s worth, I do employ QoS at my egress device for VOIPo.