Thread: Obi device

Default Obi device

Does anyone have any opinions on this new Obi ATA? More info on this at their website, http://www.obihai.com/index.html . It's the first ATA that works in conjunction with Google Voice. You buy the device for as low as $59 I believe, then you can call anywhere in the US or Canada free. Never any monthly charge, or at least through 2012 as Google has stated. Anyone feel this will hurt resellers sales?

Default Re: Obi device

With obi you still need a voip or sip carrier like Voipo, in most cases. obi to obi calls do not need any subscriptions. Google voice is technically a provider, however most users are going to want to port to google and the call quality from what I hear is low. Plus with their new CEO cutting a lot of programs I could see this being discontinued soon after the first of the year or for fee use.
    Last edited by ericd; 04-09-2012 at 05:38 PM.

Default Re: Obi device

Obi ATA is not new... I've had one for about a year now
    I love it; I have 4 altogether, including one that I am using for Voipo. Never had voice quality problems with Google. There is a very active forum both on obitalk site and on DSLReports; but if you have any questions - I'll be happy to answer.

Not sure what you mean by "impact on resellers". Do you mean companies like Voipo, or (since this is Voipo reseller forum) do you mean Voipo resellers like you?"