Thread: Anyone using VOIPo with 4g LTE?

Default Anyone using VOIPo with 4g LTE?

Just curious of anyone with good or bad results running VOIPo over say Verizon 4G LTE broadband service.

Default Re: Anyone using VOIPo with 4g LTE?

I do it over “4G” (GSM) on T-Mobile on occasion and, ever since VOIPo changed out the BYOD server, calls have been MUCH better than they have been a few months ago. That said, at least with T-Mobile, you need a very good 4G signal to have a decent call. 3G or a poor 4G signal will lead to quite poor calls.

ditto what Bink said. I have used it on Verizon 4G LTE and it requires a rock solid connection or sounds awful. This is not unique to voipo... pretty much any voip over mobile requires a very good connection.

Problem with cellular data services is more often the ping time then the actual up/download speeds. Ping times often exceed 500-1000ms.

I agree that the latency (ping time) is definitely a factor with cellular. But I've never seen a 500-1000ms latency. Not saying it's not possible, but I'm in charge of a very large account with many data modems. Monthly bill is over $50,000. It's verizon. On average, the latency is in the 150-200ms range. That is definitely not that good for voip. Voip want under 150ms. With the 4g/LTE, the latency is much better.
    Mike
    "Born Wild - Raised Proud"
    Do you like your life? - Thank a Vet!!!

Quote Originally Posted by christcorp View Post
    I agree that the latency (ping time) is definitely a factor with cellular. But I've never seen a 500-1000ms latency. Not saying it's not possible, but I'm in charge of a very large account with many data modems. Monthly bill is over $50,000. It's verizon. On average, the latency is in the 150-200ms range. That is definitely not that good for voip. Voip want under 150ms. With the 4g/LTE, the latency is much better.
    Your're not on ATT faux 4G in NJ. I very often saw 1000-2000ms ping. Switched to T-Mobile faux 4g now for my cell service and it is much better (50-100ms). On Verizon LTE on my iPad I am seeing much better since LTE usage isn't that big yet. Usually 50-75ms.