Thread: Carrier Grade NAT

Default Carrier Grade NAT

With the switch to IPv6 coming many ISP's have decided to do carrier grade NAT where customer WAN's will have an address in the private network space...

http://www.networkworld.com/columnis...backspin.html?

My ISP is one that plans to do this... I still can't get an answer from them as I have a commercial account and static IP that I need the public to have access to...

But- how will this affect services like VOIP? Seems like this will kill off the ability to use dynamic DNS services for many with residential service...
    I Void Warranties.

Default Re: Carrier Grade NAT

Quote Originally Posted by chpalmer View Post
    With the switch to IPv6 coming many ISP's have decided to do carrier grade NAT where customer WAN's will have an address in the private network space...

http://www.networkworld.com/columnis...backspin.html?

My ISP is one that plans to do this... I still can't get an answer from them as I have a commercial account and static IP that I need the public to have access to...

But- how will this affect services like VOIP? Seems like this will kill off the ability to use dynamic DNS services for many with residential service...

If your ISP is going from "Nat44" to "Nat444" (Ipv4 to IPv4 to IPV4)in other words stretching out IPv4 and not deploying IPv6 then really what you have to do is ensure your network is on a 192. basis. 10. and 178. etc will become garbage(meaning my customers will be calling to make changes to there networks). From what I understand if your ISP is going to IPv6 then you should see no real impact. IPv4 is just running out of space, simple as that. IPv6 should cause you any issues, but if your ISP is going to "Nat444" then you will have some serious quality issues, or complete breakage of VoIP. And not just VoIP.

NAT444 will NOT Break:

Web browsing
    Email
    FTP download
    Small files
    BitTorrent and Limewire
    Leeching (download)
    Skype video and voice calls
    Instant messaging
    Facebook and Twitter chat

it WILL Break:

FTP download
    Large files
    BitTorrent and Limewire
    Seeding (upload)
    On-line gaming
    Xbox
    PlayStation
    Etc.
    Video streaming
    Hulu
    Netflix
    Slingcatcher
    Etc.
    Webcam
    Remote viewing
    Tunneling
    6to4
    Teredo
    Etc.
    VPN & Encryption
    IPSec
    SSL
    VoIP
    Limited ALG/SIP support
    All custom applications with the IP embedded
    Lack of ALGs

if IPv6 is deployed you will be OK except for domain ranges mentioned.

Default Re: Carrier Grade NAT

Thanks! My ISP like many others Im hearing about do not intend to hand us ipv6 addresses... I have a commercial connection and still can't get an answer to my questions to them...
    I Void Warranties.