Thread: Can't receive Incoming Calls from Specific Phone Numbers

Default Can't receive Incoming Calls from Specific Phone Numbers

I have had a problem now for several weeks, where calls from specific phone numbers go directly to my VOIPO voice mail, while other calls ring through to my VOIPO phone correctly. This has been a problem for me since the phones that are not ringing my VOIPO service are my cell phones. I am not able to call home and ring the VOIPO phone. I've checked an rechecked configuration parameters and can find no cause for this behavior. VOIPO customer service has done the same, and has found nothing that should cause the problem.

If I set up sinuring and simultaneously ring another VOIP service and VOIPO, only the other provider's phone rings. Equipment for VOIPO is directly behind my cable modem, while equipment for the other provider is connected to one of the VOIPO output ports. So far, VOIPO customer service has been unable to solve the problem, although they did reset my VOIPO hardware and have tried several configuration changes. I can't find any other instance of this problem anywhere, so I'm not sure if I'm the only one having the problem. More recently, I found that just changing the caller ID on the source phone can cause the call not to go through even though the call is originating from the same underlying carrier. This really seems to be strange to me.

Any help here would be appreciated.

Default Re: Can't receive Incoming Calls from Specific Phone Numbers

Quote Originally Posted by samflanders View Post
    I have had a problem now for several weeks, where calls from specific phone numbers go directly to my VOIPO voice mail, while other calls ring through to my VOIPO phone correctly. This has been a problem for me since the phones that are not ringing my VOIPO service are my cell phones. I am not able to call home and ring the VOIPO phone. I've checked an rechecked configuration parameters and can find no cause for this behavior. VOIPO customer service has done the same, and has found nothing that should cause the problem.

If I set up sinuring and simultaneously ring another VOIP service and VOIPO, only the other provider's phone rings. Equipment for VOIPO is directly behind my cable modem, while equipment for the other provider is connected to one of the VOIPO output ports. So far, VOIPO customer service has been unable to solve the problem, although they did reset my VOIPO hardware and have tried several configuration changes. I can't find any other instance of this problem anywhere, so I'm not sure if I'm the only one having the problem. More recently, I found that just changing the caller ID on the source phone can cause the call not to go through even though the call is originating from the same underlying carrier. This really seems to be strange to me.

Any help here would be appreciated.
    Sorry to hear about the troubles you've experienced. This issue seems unique. Please IM me with your account information and I will personally look into it.

Smile Re: Can't receive Incoming Calls from Specific Phone Numbers

After about 3 weeks, a representative from the Level 3 tier of Voipo's support looked into the problem with me interactively (while I was on the phone with him). The representative was able to determine that there was a number stored in a secondary table (an area which is not accessible to the 1 and 2 level tech support people or to me as the end user) which was causing calls from particular numbers to be redirected incorrectly, resulting in them going IMMEDIATELY to Voipo voice mail. As soon as he removed the number from the table, everything started working properly.

Moral of the story: VOIP is still complex, and once and a while, unusual things happen in the underlying computer systems that mess things up. Thankfully, there was a competent resource at Voipo who was able to quickly identify the problem once he was assigned to it.