Thread: Is 911 dialing reliable on VOIPO?

Default Is 911 dialing reliable on VOIPO?

Hi Folks,

I'm currently a Comcast Digital Voice customer and was thinking of poring my line to either VOIPO or Vontage. However, having 4 small children, I just wanted to make sure the 911 service for VOIPO is reliable before switching. Have there been any issues before with being able to dial 911 and connecting right to the proper emergency center with the address information? I live in Connecticut, so I'm guessing almost all the towns here should be e-911 capable.

I was just looking for some reassurance that VOIPO offers a good 911 service, because you never know what can happen, especially with kids. Thanks so much for any replies to entertain this issue.

Chris

Default Re: Is 911 dialing reliable on VOIPO?

Only had the misfortune to need 911 once with VOIPo and it worked flawlessly. As a matter of fact the phone was disconnected before ringing of 911 started, and there was an immediate call back. Once the last 1 in 911 is dialed, your info. will be transmitted, without exception, the call will complete no matter how quick the line is disconnected after the last 1 is entered. Just make sure your 911 address info. in Vpanel is filled out correctly.

There are limitations, if your internet goes down, your phone goes with it. If your power goes, your phone goes with it unless you have a battery backup for your internet and phone (I do).
    Last edited by voipinit; 06-22-2012 at 10:13 PM.

On the other hand, I have read complaints from others with VoIP services (including but not limited to VOIPo) where 911 calls did not go through or were misrouted. Most of the time, it works. But if you really depend on it, you should have an alternate method available.
    Steve

^ True, if your address (location) with VOIP service is not accurate, your access to 911 is extremely limited. With VOIPo this is easy to avoid, make sure your 911 service address is accurate in Vpanel.

Quote Originally Posted by voipinit View Post
    ^ True, if your address (location) with VOIP service is not accurate, your access to 911 is extremely limited. With VOIPo this is easy to avoid, make sure your 911 service address is accurate in Vpanel.
    That is the key, ensure your vpanel shows the correct address. When I initiated my VOIPO service, I was required to provide VOIPO a 911 address. Well I needed to make a 911 call, it took seven minutes before the call was placed. Looking in my vpanel, no address was listed.