Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Coming in July...

Default Re: Coming in July...

Quote Originally Posted by Russell View Post
    Yes, I suspect most of my issues were short codes related - it's been a couple of months since I got the telna account so my memory is a little fuzzy. All I know is when I got it I thought I'd use it for all kinds of things and it was a disaster. I believe when I tried it with my bank and investment company one said they'd send me an SMS, which I never did receive. The other wanted to use a short code which telna could not handle. With telna, I didn't have an issue sending to individual cell phones or receiving from them. As always, I'll be happy to beta test this.
    PM or e-mail me your number and I can send you a test message through it if you want.

Also I got your e-mail about BETA testing. We'll be opening it up for public testing in the next 1-2 weeks.
    Timothy Dick
    Founder/CEO
    VOIPo.com

Interact with VOIPo: Twitter, Facebook

Great,I am looking forward and excited about testing these new features

This is awesome news! One question - Portable International Calling - Access your VOIPo account from virtually any phone (including cell phones) to make international calls with our low international rates from that external phone. - Can you give us any details on how this will work?

For me it isn't shortcodes - it's signing up for services such as flight notifications or Twitter, or Amazon shipment tracking, etc. Sometimes the sites will have a pulldown list of carriers, but many other times they just ask for the number. I know that if I put in a Google Voice number, I never get the message from these services.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by holmes4 View Post
    For me it isn't shortcodes - it's signing up for services such as flight notifications or Twitter, or Amazon shipment tracking, etc. Sometimes the sites will have a pulldown list of carriers, but many other times they just ask for the number. I know that if I put in a Google Voice number, I never get the message from these services.
    Most likely they would be using shortcodes to send the notifications. This is kind of simplistic explanation but the reason I said that is that carriers are pretty restrictive in that SMS on regular phone numbers is to be used only for "person to person" communication and any kind of automated notifications have to be routed through a shortcode gateway which are more heavily controlled. This is basically to prevent SPAM/abuse as all the shortcodes have a clearcut opt out process to stop receiving messages (replying with STOP). So anything not send by a human is supposed to either use a shortcode gateway or e-mail gateway.
    Timothy Dick
    Founder/CEO
    VOIPo.com

Interact with VOIPo: Twitter, Facebook

I'm not so excited about the addition of these "exciting" new features--features I do not need--and the inevitable increase in rates. What is wrong with "simply trying to provide cheap phone service?" That is exactly what I want, and what initially attracted me to Voipo.

Quote Originally Posted by holmes4 View Post
    Now that you mention it, yes, my telna number did not work with one of the airline notification systems either.
    Russell

Quote Originally Posted by VOIPoTim View Post
    PM or e-mail me your number and I can send you a test message through it if you want.

Also I got your e-mail about BETA testing. We'll be opening it up for public testing in the next 1-2 weeks.
    Great to hear about the beta testing! I'll be sure to sign up. The reason I've yet to send you my number is I've no doubt that cell to cell SMS will work with your system (as shown by the graphic in your first post). It's all those other non-cell-to-cell SMS applications that I was wondering about.
    Russell

Quote Originally Posted by RingyDingyDave View Post
    I'm not so excited about the addition of these "exciting" new features--features I do not need--and the inevitable increase in rates. What is wrong with "simply trying to provide cheap phone service?" That is exactly what I want, and what initially attracted me to Voipo.
    Good point. I and most of my referrals (not that I have that many) were attracted by the "cheap phone service".
    Russell

Hi,

I'm really looking forward to the new vPanel. Thank you!

Will the texting service include an SMS gateway that will allow us to send an email to our Voipo number (4445551212@voipo.com) that is forwarded as a text message to the Voipo SMS?