Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Coming in July...

Default Re: Coming in July...

Quote Originally Posted by mikeb View Post
    Hi,

I'm really looking forward to the new vPanel. Thank you!

Will the texting service include an SMS gateway that will allow us to send an email to our Voipo number (4445551212@voipo.com) that is forwarded as a text message to the Voipo SMS?
    Right now the sending is all web-based, but we're looking into an e-mail gateway. One thing that complicates it is that that would make it easier for people to try to use it for automated/commercial messages and the wireless industry is super strict about SMS on regular numbers only being person to person with 0 tolerance for automated stuff, so we'd have to built in some kind of protection to prevent that.

For incoming messages, they will show in the control panel and can also be either forwarded to an e-mail or on to another number as an SMS (such as forwarding messages sent to the VOIPo number on to a cell phone).
    Timothy Dick
    Founder/CEO
    VOIPo.com

Interact with VOIPo: Twitter, Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by RingyDingyDave View Post
    I'm not so excited about the addition of these "exciting" new features--features I do not need--and the inevitable increase in rates. What is wrong with "simply trying to provide cheap phone service?" That is exactly what I want, and what initially attracted me to Voipo.
    Personally, I'm not too concerned about a slight increase in rates. Mostly because I've taken advantage of the special and I'm good for another couple of years at least. But also because compared to my previous VoIP provider (Comcast/Xfinity), VOIPo's rates are ridiculously low and the features are already better. So as long as VOIPo doesn't jack the rates up too much, I'll probably still be a happy camper.

Tim

what about resellers? Anything new for them.

Quote Originally Posted by chevyman View Post
    Tim

what about resellers? Anything new for them.
    Yes, we do have some things in the works for resellers but we're not ready to announce them yet.
    Timothy Dick
    Founder/CEO
    VOIPo.com

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    This is awesome news! One question - Portable International Calling - Access your VOIPo account from virtually any phone (including cell phones) to make international calls with our low international rates from that external phone. - Can you give us any details on how this will work?
    I was just looking back through this thread and it looks like I missed this question. Sorry!

We looked at a few possibilities and ultimately decided to use a "calling card" approach where you dial an access number and authenticate. You'll also be able to "register" certain numbers to speed this up when calling from one of them so you only enter a PIN number rather than having to enter your full VOIPo number.

The main reason for this approach is that it encompasses all phone types. We looked at things like smartphone apps for this like many competitors use, but that turns into a situation where it's only useful for a segment of our users (ones that have the type of phone the app is for) and complicates it. An access number/calling card approach opens it up to everyone and should be super simple for someone to just program into their cell as a contact, enter their PIN and dial.

We have a lot more coming than what was announced though. As an example, this access number also allows you to use VOIPo * codes to control your account remotely from another phone. So you could in theory call it and change your failover number.

Besides international calling, here's a list of the supported functions when dialing in:

*21 - Disable Call Forwarding
    *22 - Enable DND Busy
    *23 - Enable DND Voicemail
    *24 - Disable DND
    *25 - Set Failover Destination (PSTN forward - phone number only)
    *26 - Set Failover Destination (voicemail)
    *67 - Prompts for phone number to call ( Anonymously )
    *30 - Enable Block Caller-ID (permanently)
    *31 - Disable Block Caller-ID (permanently)
    *68 - Prompts for phone number to call ( Removes Anonymity)
    *82 - Prompts for phone number to call ( Removes Anonymity)
    Timothy Dick
    Founder/CEO
    VOIPo.com

Quote Originally Posted by VOIPoTim View Post
    I was just looking back through this thread and it looks like I missed this question. Sorry!

We looked at a few possibilities and ultimately decided to use a "calling card" approach where you dial an access number and authenticate. You'll also be able to "register" certain numbers to speed this up when calling from one of them so you only enter a PIN number rather than having to enter your full VOIPo number.

The main reason for this approach is that it encompasses all phone types. We looked at things like smartphone apps for this like many competitors use, but that turns into a situation where it's only useful for a segment of our users (ones that have the type of phone the app is for) and complicates it. An access number/calling card approach opens it up to everyone and should be super simple for someone to just program into their cell as a contact, enter their PIN and dial.

We have a lot more coming than what was announced though. As an example, this access number also allows you to use VOIPo * codes to control your account remotely from another phone. So you could in theory call it and change your failover number.

Besides international calling, here's a list of the supported functions when dialing in:

*68 - Prompts for phone number to call ( Removes Anonymity)
    *82 - Prompts for phone number to call ( Removes Anonymity)

I'm glad to see that you are fixing the *82 problem with not have to use *68 instead. Now if only i could get my android phone to quit deleting the * from my contacts every time i back them up.

New question-- with everyone dropping there pots for cell and voip service, the need to fax is needed, i know you can use your cpanel to do that but is there any plan to do like efax does, and let you send a fax by email like 1xxx5551212@voipwelcome.com(fax-number@voipwelcome.com) but they require that the email is sent from the fax email account, to keep anyone from sending faxes. thanks

Quote Originally Posted by holmes4 View Post
    For me it isn't shortcodes - it's signing up for services such as flight notifications or Twitter, or Amazon shipment tracking, etc. Sometimes the sites will have a pulldown list of carriers, but many other times they just ask for the number. I know that if I put in a Google Voice number, I never get the message from these services.
    So, does SMS'ing from GV number to Tim's number work? And what about SMS'ing from Tim to GV? Making these two connections will probably cover most non-short-code situations...

Quote Originally Posted by ymhee_bcex View Post
    So, does SMS'ing from GV number to Tim's number work? And what about SMS'ing from Tim to GV? Making these two connections will probably cover most non-short-code situations...
    Since I have a Google Voice number and Tim's number is shown ... I can confirm that SMSing from GV to VOIPo and back works and is very very fast.
    Russell

Quote Originally Posted by RingyDingyDave View Post
    I'm not so excited about the addition of these "exciting" new features--features I do not need--and the inevitable increase in rates. What is wrong with "simply trying to provide cheap phone service?" That is exactly what I want, and what initially attracted me to Voipo.
    Don't get me wrong I think Voipo is a good value but I came to Voipo from another company that just kept increasing there rates to a point I said enough. I am a light user and do not use a lot of minutes per month but liked the fact that Voipo gave me basically unlimited use for a very reasonable fixed price. If in the future the annual prepaid rates are going to be going up I will not likely renew as there are lots of other good Voip providers out there that will be cheaper for my usage patterns. Unless Voipo offers some alternate lower price plans for light users I think this is going to be a negative move. Sorry I vote with my pocket book and in these times every nickle matters.

Will the SMS / New panel be available to resellers to or just clients of VOIPO only.