Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Calls dropped, one way calls, and registration issues.

Default Re: Calls dropped, one way calls, and registration issues.

Quote Originally Posted by christcorp View Post
    My point was that you were mentioning reviews, comparisons, issues, etc... mentioned on forums. Including DSLreports. My point was that forums are such a small sampling of active customers, and "most" people who visit forums are looking for a solution to a problem, that by it's very nature, you will see more complaints and issues brought up in a forum than what accurately reflects true customer experiences.
    DSL Reports has 174 reviews of VOIPo - 136 good; 17 bad. Doesn't look like more complaints and issues

By the way, similar stats for PhonePower, CallCentric, and several others. So, I would say that regulars on DSLR are experienced folks that are discussing how to make VoIP services better, and comparing different providers (something that is inappropriate on vendor-sponsored forums).
    Last edited by ymhee_bcex; 07-08-2012 at 12:43 AM.

Didn't say reviews would be good or bad. Simply that forums are not an accurate account of a company's product or service. The sampling size is much too small. And forums tend to be made up of a "Few" enthusiasts and individuals seeking answers to a problem. Can you get a ball park idea on a company by their forum reviews? Sure. You can also go to a company's forum, like this one, and compare the type of questions being asked. I.e. If most of the questions are "HOW" type questions with people trying to learn or better use a product/service, that's one thing. If many of the questions are "Why" in nature; like "Why can't I, or Why won't it, or Why does it keep, etc..." then it's usually problem oriented. But back to more original reply; I'm simply saying that most issues with voip are usually associated with the customer's equipment, network, ISP, etc...
    Mike
    "Born Wild - Raised Proud"
    Do you like your life? - Thank a Vet!!!

Quote Originally Posted by christcorp View Post
    But back to more original reply; I'm simply saying that most issues with voip are usually associated with the customer's equipment, network, ISP, etc...
    If that were the case, my Aunt Millie would never buy telephone service from Vonage, VOIPo or any other independent voice service provider. Only full-service package from cable or DSL provider. So that if anything goes wrong she can call support and avoid finger-pointing. So, I guess, we can agree to disagree on it (and my Aunt Millie agrees with me! She was unhappy BroadVoice customer 7 years ago; and happily switched to another VSP afterwards. She switched from DSL to cable and back to dry-loop DSL; bought a new router twice, without thinking to check voip compatibility in any of those situations).

That said, I am very curious to hear Tim's opinion on this topic! Do you agree with this statement? Are you comfortable building up such perception?

Quote Originally Posted by ymhee_bcex View Post
    That said, I am very curious to hear Tim's opinion on this topic! Do you agree with this statement? Are you comfortable building up such perception?
    Yeah I definitely agree. 99.9999% of the time the issues are related to the router, ISP or home network.

There are just so many variables (ISP, routers, home network setup etc) that the goal for any provider is to achieve the highest compatibility rate possible (high 90%s).

Since it's not 100% though, unfortunately that means there will always be a small % with issues. Each provider has a different segment of customers in the small % because each provider has a different network. Someone could be in our problem % and have great service with Vonage. Another person could be in the Vonage problem % and have great service with us. This is because our networks are different and one network may work better with the customer's unique variables than another.
    Timothy Dick
    Founder/CEO
    VOIPo.com

Interact with VOIPo: Twitter, Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by VOIPoTim View Post
    Another person could be in the Vonage problem % and have great service with us.
    Raises hand.... I spent the better part of a year fighting Vonage over abysmal call quality. Switched to VOIPo and problem solved.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by VOIPoTim View Post
    Yeah I definitely agree. 99.9999% of the time the issues are related to the router, ISP or home network.
    OK, the Boss has spoken!

I maybe in a tiny minority here; but for me this is a huge turn-off statement. Similar to a programmer who says that 99.9999% of the time the issues are related to the users, hardware, or browser. Sorry...

OK, the Boss has spoken!

I maybe in a tiny minority here; but for me this is a huge turn-off statement. Similar to a programmer who says that 99.9999% of the time the issues are related to the users, hardware, or browser. Sorry...
    Just being honest. The vast majority of the time, the issues are related to routers, ISPs or home networks. We see it every day.

Not sure how we could spin that any differently...it's just really the nature of the business since all of those elements are outside of our control since provided by the customer.

I understand you might feel we could approach it differently which I can respect as your opinion, but I don't agree with it.

Not possible for a provider to have 100% compatibility when they don't control so many variables in my opinion.

So we can agree to disagree, but I stand by the statement that most issues are related to those things.
    Last edited by VOIPoTim; 07-08-2012 at 09:19 PM.
    Timothy Dick
    Founder/CEO
    VOIPo.com

Interact with VOIPo: Twitter, Facebook

I love Canon printers. But when I changed operating systems to Linux, the canon printer wasn't completely compatible. Is that Linux/Ubuntu's problem and something they need to fix, or is it something that Canon needs to fix with new drivers? HP works flawlessly. I worked many years for ma'bell. I had a customer that kept hearing voices on the phone that wasn't the person she was speaking with. She lived next to an AM-Radio station tower. Her neighbors with a different phone didn't have the same problem. Only her particular phone. Is that a problem Ma'Bell needs to try and fix? Levi makes great jeans but not everyone likes them. Some like the fit of Wrangler. Should Levi try and make their jeans loved by ALL customers?

As many customers mention, including holmes4 who posted 3 posts ago, he had a miserable time with Vonage, but Voipo works perfectly. For some, Vonage might be the right answer and voipo isn't it. There are satisfied and dissatisfied customers with broadvoice, ITP, cable digital voice, magic-jack, 8X8, etc... When you combine personal phones, cordless phones, routers, PC's, ports, QOS, microwave ovens, WIFI, home security, ISP, routing, local electromagnetic radiation, and all the other local influences, things are affected. What one service can't do, another possibly can. When I bought my house 14 years ago, it came with a wireless intercom system. It worked great. Within about 4 years of adding home theater, computers, wireless, etc... It no longer worked. Works fine at my daughter's house. I gave it to her. I bought a new wireless system that works fine.
    Mike
    "Born Wild - Raised Proud"
    Do you like your life? - Thank a Vet!!!

OK, the Boss has spoken!

No one could say it better than Tim said and yet the beat goes on..

In every aspect of life, nothing works the same for everyone. I don't see what's so difficult to understand.
    If it works for you, go with it....if not keep searching till you find something that works the way you envision..

For those of us who have been around this technology most of our lives, we understand these limits.

I totally agree with Tim and admit I couldn't have said it better..

I upgraded my older Linksys WRT300n (stock firmware) to a Netgear 3700 and could never get the Netgear to properly work with the HT502 (static IP). After spending a week pull my hair out setting up port forwards, testing out alternative firmwares and the like I returned it and plugged in my linksys that worked flawlessly without having to worry about setting up special ports.

The Linksys finally stopped being reliable and needed replacement. Again fearing incompatibility I stuck with Linksys got a e2400 but the problems still persisted like the 3700. Returned and picked up a Asus rt56u.... Still wasn't good (Again I messed with ports), I could only make outbound calls, until I found an alternative firmware and now all is right with the world.

I am no expert on networks but it appears (to me) that a lot of the newer routers have issues. But I can say that the Asus rt56u with the Russian 1.1.2.0-002 firmware works.

Also I have U-verse iNID 2wire i3812V setup with DMZ to the rt56u. not using the supplied i38HG router.

my .02