Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Issues

Default Issues

Quote Originally Posted by VOIPoTim View Post
    Less tha 1% of our customers have ever even contacted support and right now there are less than 10 help desk tickets open in our support queue. If you experience issues, you'll

If you experience chronic, ongoing issues than it means that there is likely some kind of underlying incompatibility issues between VOIPo and your ISP, home network setup, router, modem, or something in the mix.

All providers have different networks and some work better with different combinations of home network variables for different people.

If it's determined that it's the case, we recommend finding an alternative provider because there just wouldn't be anything we could do on our end to fix it.
    Tim,

I have three lines with VoIPo. At first I wasn't sure I would keep even one. LOTS of issues, dropped TX and RX audio mainly, also calls terminating unexpectedly, fast busy when dialing out, callers getting a busy when noone was on the line. I opened support tickets, and had numerous email and telephone exchanges with customer care reps. One was particularly condescending, telling me repeatedly it was my Internet connection or router, or switch, etc. As an electrical engineer, I found this particularly distasteful.

I had swapped everything out, even dedicated one of my Internet connections to the ATA, and knew the only thing that could possibly be causing a problem was the Grandstream ATA. Customer Care insisted the problem was on my end. I finally, just to prove them wrong, purchased a Linksys PAP2T ATA. Since it went into service, the problems cleared up and my first VoIPo line has been quite reliable for around a year now.

I recently ordered two additional VoIPo lines, and experienced the exact same audio issues as with the first Grandstream 502 ATA, with the new 702's. As before, I replaced them with a Linksys PAP2T, and smooth sailing ever since.

Bottom line: don't bother with customer care unless the issue is provisioning or porting (they are very nice at that), and only use the piece of junk Grandstream adapter to set up your BYOD credentials, then send it to the dump, as that's where it belongs. I just hope VoIPo realizes Grandstream makes garbage, I don't want the company to go out of business because they lost customers due to poorly made, cheap, ATA's.

Steve

Default Re: Disappointed and Why I Cannot Recommend VOIPO

Quote Originally Posted by markbet View Post
    To answer your question above, IT IS A NIGHTMARE. I am fast finding out, Voip service is not for everyone, especially if you are technically challenged, and that is me.
    i'd have to say that is fair. VOIP is a technology, not a solution. if you want/expect plug/play this may not be for you. i think it's to a point where most people make it work but the challenges will vary from person to person.

i just hate to see people compare voip to standard land line as if it's the same.

very different.

Quote Originally Posted by iceberg View Post
    i'd have to say that is fair. VOIP is a technology, not a solution. if you want/expect plug/play this may not be for you. i think it's to a point where most people make it work but the challenges will vary from person to person.

i just hate to see people compare voip to standard land line as if it's the same.

very different.
    You are correct...it's not the same and neither is the price.

In terms of reliability, a land line is the best, but that doesn't mean it is without its problems as well.
    Just the other day, a number of people had their ATT lines go down and they got the usual recording that said.."will be fixed by 6pm tomorrow."

However, some of us are just lucky. I have no land line and have had voip for more than 7 years. Except for an occasional blip, the quality for me is on a par with POTS.

Of all the VOIP companies I tried, without question VOIPo has been by far the best and I've been with them since the beta testing days.

Quote Originally Posted by burris View Post
    You are correct...it's not the same and neither is the price.

In terms of reliability, a land line is the best, but that doesn't mean it is without its problems as well.
    Just the other day, a number of people had their ATT lines go down and they got the usual recording that said.."will be fixed by 6pm tomorrow."

However, some of us are just lucky. I have no land line and have had voip for more than 7 years. Except for an occasional blip, the quality for me is on a par with POTS.

Of all the VOIP companies I tried, without question VOIPo has been by far the best and I've been with them since the beta testing days.
    there's 2 reasons i went with VOIPo. 1st of course being price. to go from almost $60 s month to under $6? fu-get-about-it. : ) after that, it's hostgator.

i've been running an online radio station for over a decade and trust me, i've run through my share of providers. most took my money and were "ok" but when i ran into issues - i ran into issues to be sure. i avoided hostgator at first cause everyone else was cheaper, like most would do. finally in a fit of virtual rage from a previous provider and their BS, i gave hostgator a shot.

their support is to be blunt, the best in the business. the people i've talked to cared, followed up and even when my issue was not their direct problem, they still worked with me to get it resolved and ensured i knew what i needed to move forward. there was my price difference.

how difficult was it to setup VOIPo? take a small adapter, plug it into my wireless adapter, plug my phone in it and it worked. the only issue is no caller ID coming through but given the support track record, that will be resolved shortly and i'll be fine. i notice zero difference in quality and i flat out LOVE the fact i can block numbers online and shut off tele-marketers that i could never easily do under AT&T.

so to anyone who may get frustrated setting this up - remember this is a very different technology giving you very familiar results. the swap for most will be flawless and easy. for some, a few bumps and for a few, maybe a few more. i've been in computer customer support for almost 20 years so its second nature to me. but even for someone who's not tech savvy, hang in there and trust the support to get you through. they will.

iceberg

Other than the financial backing of Hostgator, what do they have to do with Voipo? Or VoIP phone service in general?
    City Wide Phone
    where the talk is cheap!

Default Re: Issues

Quote Originally Posted by glradio View Post
    Tim,

I have three lines with VoIPo. At first I wasn't sure I would keep even one. LOTS of issues, dropped TX and RX audio mainly, also calls terminating unexpectedly, fast busy when dialing out, callers getting a busy when noone was on the line. I opened support tickets, and had numerous email and telephone exchanges with customer care reps. One was particularly condescending, telling me repeatedly it was my Internet connection or router, or switch, etc. As an electrical engineer, I found this particularly distasteful.

I had swapped everything out, even dedicated one of my Internet connections to the ATA, and knew the only thing that could possibly be causing a problem was the Grandstream ATA. Customer Care insisted the problem was on my end. I finally, just to prove them wrong, purchased a Linksys PAP2T ATA. Since it went into service, the problems cleared up and my first VoIPo line has been quite reliable for around a year now.

I recently ordered two additional VoIPo lines, and experienced the exact same audio issues as with the first Grandstream 502 ATA, with the new 702's. As before, I replaced them with a Linksys PAP2T, and smooth sailing ever since.

Bottom line: don't bother with customer care unless the issue is provisioning or porting (they are very nice at that), and only use the piece of junk Grandstream adapter to set up your BYOD credentials, then send it to the dump, as that's where it belongs. I just hope VoIPo realizes Grandstream makes garbage, I don't want the company to go out of business because they lost customers due to poorly made, cheap, ATA's.

Steve
    Hi Steve,

Sorry to hear about your issues.

We have tens of thousands of users using Grandstream devices without issues. As others have said though there are many many variables (home network setup, router, ISP, etc) and it could just be that your specific setup doesn't work well with Grandstreams and you have better luck with Linksys devices. It doesn't mean one is bad or good...it's just that in your specific combo of variables (router, home network setup etc) one may work better for you.

If you're happy using the Linksys devices, I'm glad to hear that. If you're still having any issues you would resolve resolved, feel free to e-mail me directly at tim @ voipo.com and I'll be happy to have a Support Supervisor contact you and work with you.
    Timothy Dick
    Founder/CEO
    VOIPo.com

Interact with VOIPo: Twitter, Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by wingsohot View Post
    Other than the financial backing of Hostgator, what do they have to do with Voipo? Or VoIP phone service in general?
    I agree with your post.

I do want to clarify the HostGator bit though so there's no confusion. We have a great relationship with HostGator and promote each other's services, but there is no financial connection between the two companies. My business partner is the founder of HostGator and he has a passive stake in VOIPo. Beyond that, there's no financial connection.

HostGator was recently sold to an investment group so my business partner and I are no longer involved with it. Even though HostGator was sold, the two of us still personally own VOIPo and I plan to keep growing it for years to come.
    Timothy Dick
    Founder/CEO
    VOIPo.com

Quote Originally Posted by VOIPoTim View Post
    I agree with your post.

I do want to clarify the HostGator bit though so there's no confusion. We have a great relationship with HostGator and promote each other's services, but there is no financial connection between the two companies. My business partner is the founder of HostGator and he has a passive stake in VOIPo. Beyond that, there's no financial connection.

HostGator was recently sold to an investment group so my business partner and I are no longer involved with it. Even though HostGator was sold, the two of us still personally own VOIPo and I plan to keep growing it for years to come.
    tim - thanks for the update. i hope the investment company doesn't let things slip on hostgator. : )

my issue so far is in the no caller id thread. from what i can tell another adapter would fix it? i have an AT&T dect 6 phone and heck, would just buy a new 4 piece set if it would fix it too if i knew what would work with the adapter i have. then i also see a push to my adapter could also fix it after resetting it.

just miss that feature a ton and now never answer cause a lot of my calls are junk calls. thankfully i can filter those out online so they just go away in time.

Default Re: Issues

Quote Originally Posted by glradio View Post
    Tim,

Steve
    I have and am having pretty much the same issues. And getting the same responses 50% of the time. The other 50% it is found that setting changes in my ATA normally fixes the issues. But I have had the complete opposite experience with ATA's. I was originally given the Linksys, of which since Cisco bought Linksys as an entry level consumer product manufacturer and vowed that they were not looking to create or distribute world class hardware with no plans to upscale any of Linksys' products ever, I lost any positive regard for Linksys. Really never have liked any of their previous or current lines anyway. So, recently I was finally sent the Grandstream to replace the PAP2T and it fixed a good portion of the issues I was having. Just as the Linksys did for you. The rest seem to be VoIPO network and provider associated. So this only confirms what I have thought and said that there are still too many variable at this point and time and you just have to find the right fit of "components".

". . . this is suppose to be torture, not therapy!!!"

– Minerva Mayflower, Hudson Hawk

I'm just sittin' on the Beach makin' sure each grain of sand is in its proper place.

Quote Originally Posted by iceberg View Post
    tim - thanks for the update. i hope the investment company doesn't let things slip on hostgator. : )

my issue so far is in the no caller id thread. from what i can tell another adapter would fix it? i have an AT&T dect 6 phone and heck, would just buy a new 4 piece set if it would fix it too if i knew what would work with the adapter i have. then i also see a push to my adapter could also fix it after resetting it.

just miss that feature a ton and now never answer cause a lot of my calls are junk calls. thankfully i can filter those out online so they just go away in time.
    Support should be able to fix your Incoming Caller ID issue with a firmware update. They will set it up and then once you reboot your adapter it'll update. I replied with more details in your other thread.
    Timothy Dick
    Founder/CEO
    VOIPo.com