Thread: BETA SMS question

Default BETA SMS question

I know you guys are more than busy, still, I am curious:

When I go to BETA - SMS / Text Messaging, I see a bold text, telling me that this feature is still in beta and that I "please help test it and use the Report Bug link in the header to report any problems you experience.". Well, I would like to but I get the following shown under SMS END POINT:

You do not currently have any SMS Enabled phone numbers at this time.

I reported this with the REPORT BUG feature a while ago. Naturally, I didn't hear back and I opened a ticket to ask about the availability of this feature. Tech Support was friendly but they just advised me to report it as a bug. Well, yeah, quite difficult to help testing if the feature isn't available in my account.

Default Re: BETA SMS question

That page also says that your number may be one for which SMS is not available, and if no numbers are listed, that is the case.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by holmes4 View Post
    That page also says that your number may be one for which SMS is not available, and if no numbers are listed, that is the case.
    Wouldn't that be up to the VOIPO team to enable or disable my number?

Quote Originally Posted by Tumultus View Post
    Wouldn't that be up to the VOIPO team to enable or disable my number?
    SMS is not available on all numbers since it's ratecenter/carrier/coverage specific. SMS is available for all numbers on our primary carriers.

Please don't use the bug report function for this because it's not a development bug. The bug reporting is for situations where the panel is not functioning correctly.

The panel shows which numbers are eligible for SMS at this time and SMS can be immediately activated on eligible numbers.

If your number is not listed in the eligible section them it does not currently have SMS support. In that case, use the request SMS section at the bottom to submit a request. We will then try to find a way to get SMS activated on that number. Generally we can accomplish this by doing a behind the scenes port from a secondary carrier to one of our primary carriers. In some very small or rural ratecenters, SMS may not be available. Once you use that form at the bottom to "Request SMS", we'll see what we can do to enable it and we'll contact you within a few weeks to let you know it's either activated or we're not able to get SMS support in that ratecenter.
    Last edited by VOIPoTim; 08-09-2012 at 12:37 PM.
    Timothy Dick
    Founder/CEO
    VOIPo.com

Interact with VOIPo: Twitter, Facebook

Well,

this is my problem: the SMS page doesn't have any available options for me, not even the referred dropdown list. See attached screenshot, read the text on there and you will understand my confusion.

screenshot.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Tumultus View Post
    Well,

this is my problem: the SMS page doesn't have any available options for me, not even the referred dropdown list. See attached screenshot, read the text on there and you will understand my confusion.

screenshot.jpg
    Hello,

The Request SMS form was not currently pushed out yet.

I've went ahead and pushed it from dev into the public beta.

You will only see the Enable SMS on phone numbers that are currently eligible.

You will only see the Request SMS Eligibility form if you have phone numbers that are not currently eligible.

Please do let us know if there is still any further confusion.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by VOIPoBrandon View Post
    Hello,

The Request SMS form was not currently pushed out yet.

I've went ahead and pushed it from dev into the public beta.

You will only see the Enable SMS on phone numbers that are currently eligible.

You will only see the Request SMS Eligibility form if you have phone numbers that are not currently eligible.

Please do let us know if there is still any further confusion.

Thanks!
    Ah, I see! I nearly thought I am getting insane.
    Initially, I thought it was a bug with the interface in IE. Sort of, the text on that page didn't make any sense since there were no options. Now I understand.