Thread: Incoming call problems

Default Incoming call problems

Is anyone else having problems with incoming calls from their customers accounts going to a busy signal or a loud train like noise? Outgoing seems to be ok.
    City Wide Phone
    where the talk is cheap!

Default Re: Incoming call problems

I just can't get through when trying to call my home (VOIPO) phone. I get "all circuits are busy...". Outgoing is working normally.

I may be wrong, but this is what I've learned about this.

When you port a number it still always goes through the original number holder, like AT&T, SWBell, Verizon, Ameritech, etc.

The original number holder routes the call to voipo or whatever company the number has been ported to.

Right now, many of the national switches and routers that process this call forwarding are congested or failing due to Hurricane Sandy.

So if your number resides with one of these affected switches, your calls will never even reach voipo. So even failover and voicemail won't work.

However, your outbound calls may not be affected at all, since your outbound calls do not need to be routed through the original number holder at all.

I've had some customers with this problem on Tuesday, who are already back to normal on Wednesday.

I've got other customers who had no trouble on Tuesday, but are experiencing issues on Wednesday.

The issue has impacted numbers from Florida, up to New York. And as far inland as Illinois, Texas, and perhaps farther.

Hopefully Sandy will move along and the equipment congestion/failures will be resolved quickly.

This is kind of a "storm of the century", and we're not likely to experience this particular situation again in the near future (or it could be just the beginning).

If anyone has more details, feel free to correct me... this is just what I've pieced together in the last day or so.

Green Lantern....

You said it really well...

I'm having the same problem. Incoming calls ringing and on the 4th ring goes to a busy signal.
    I'm on the west coast so I'm not sure how Sandy would affect me. Support is looking into the problem.

Most telco providers have experienced strange happenings both on traditional PSTN and VOIP. I am sure support will get to the bottom of it!

When you port a number it still always goes through the original number holder, like AT&T, SWBell, Verizon, Ameritech, etc.

The original number holder routes the call to voipo or whatever company the number has been ported to.
    When you port a number, it needs to be in a Rate Center that VOIPo's carriers have a presence. Maybe that is what you mean by Original Holder? (Maybe semantics and we are saying the same thing.) This number of mine illustrated below, started with Vonage, then Packet8, then VOIPo.com. It is no so much being forwarded, and pointed to VOIPo's equipment.

You can see who handles the Rate Center portion by looking up your NPAXXX-XXX on a site like:
    http://www.telcodata.us/search-area-...xchange-detail

for example, one of mine is a 734-437-XXXX number
    http://www.telcodata.us/search-area-...4&exchange=437
    And that points to Broadwing Communications in Livonia MI. (I live in Redford MI)

If there was a issue in Livonia, then it could be related to Broadwing or the Carrier VOIPo uses that is physically located in that Rate center. In my case http://www.telcodata.us/search-area-...VONIA&state=MI likey Bandwidth.com, although years ago it was likely Level3 that VOIPo used.

EDIT: A non-ported number, in the same Rate Center may have the same company being the Holder of it, if that is what VOIPo used to begin with. (Like two VoIP companies using Level3 and porting from one to the other. So a ported number is not very different from a newly issued number. In my case, if I got a new Livonia number, and VOIPo used Bandwidth.com, it would have to be a 734-237 number, because that is the block of numbers, bandwidth.com has issued to them.

Note that I am no telecom person, so hopefully I've said this correctly.
    Last edited by usa2k; 11-11-2012 at 08:45 AM.

Using VOIPo services since February 2007
    Beta Tested the VOIPo Reseller Plan.
    A happy VOIPo Residential Customer

Using VoIP devices since 12-2002
    Companies I've tried
    iConnectHere|Vonage|BroadvoxDirect|Vonage|Packet8| VOIPo
    VOIPo is a keeper!