Thread: Any ideas?

Default Any ideas?

My VOIP service has been rock solid for years. But now I am experiencing severe static on the line to the point of being unusable. It started about a month ago and just wondering what it could be. Could it be the ATA? My modem and router are and have been working properly and there have been no changes in the setup. Any ideas?

Thanks.

Default Re: Any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by voipinit View Post
    My VOIP service has been rock solid for years. But now I am experiencing severe static on the line to the point of being unusable. It started about a month ago and just wondering what it could be. Could it be the ATA? My modem and router are and have been working properly and there have been no changes in the setup. Any ideas?

Thanks.
    Static is usually an ATA going bad, a phone going bad, or something with wiring/connection from ATA to phone since it's an analog type of noise. If you are using house wiring, try connecting directly to the device to see if the issue is still there. If you confirm that or if you are connecting the phone directly to the ATA, then it's likely the ATA. If that's the case, just contact support and we can get a replacement sent out for you.
    Timothy Dick
    Founder/CEO
    VOIPo.com

Interact with VOIPo: Twitter, Facebook

Default Re: Any ideas?

the RJ11 plugs on the cable between the phone and the ATA can go bad as well. Try moving the plugs around while you listen and see if you can induce it. There are some cheaper RJ11 parts that will "oxidize" over time and lightly yanking on the wire while holding the plug can help to temporarily fix that.
    I Void Warranties.