Thread: Music on Hold

Default Music on Hold

I would love to see music on hold. It is helpful when answering another call while you are speaking to someone else -- the original party knows that they are still connected. Also, it would be even better if you could customize which music you would like to have.

Default Re: Music on Hold

They have partially implemented it already, but it only works on Voipo to Voipo calls. It's just one song and you have no control or choice over the music that I know of. I like the feature as well and would like to see it fully implemented as an option for all other types of calls.

If MOH is implemented, it needs to be switchable per line, IMO. Think about the conference call. (Yes, I know it's a residential service, but sometimes people do need to call into legitimate conference bridges and then take a CW call.) You'll get some irritated co-workers if you're disrupting those services with MOH or even the occasional *beep* ...

Usually, if I am on a conference call, I disable call waiting and let it go to voice mail -- with my luck if I switch off of the call for a few minutes, that's when I need to respond to a question or something.

But I do agree that you should be able to opt out of MOH if you want. However, I would like it even if opting out is not an option.

I too would like Music on Hold. My ATA supports this but it requires me to run a server to provide an audio stream (SPA 3102) which I may eventually do.

I don't see this being very practical for home users for voipo. Sure it would be nice to hear music but that means voipo would need to look into royalty free music and have it available for clients to choose what to play in the vpanel or acquire a license or pay royalties for the music. Again, once the music is available for the clients, they are going to want to customize it and decide what song to play. The honest truth is that VOPO is as low as $$8.25 for 5000 minutes and I would rather the company focus on keeping prices low and the service constantly working.
    Now if you have a business service through voipo, can't you use some kind of hardware to connect to the phone and/or ATA to play the music? Don't let the RIAA hear you play your favorite lady gaga album on hold since you probably did not purchase the rights to stream that album.

If you really want music on hold, look into an open source pbx system.

I think you did not understand my post. Actually, I only said it would be NICE to customize the music -- not to use music which required royalty payments or even necessary to allow the end user to customize. Any royalty-free music would work. And I think that to imply that it would take so much resources that Voipo would have to raise their pricing is not accurate. What additional features do you want that Voipo isn't providing now?

Thanks for explaining a little more. I cannot think of any additional features that voipo should have.