Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Porting Procedures?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Porting Procedures?

Hey Tim; was wondering if you could post here. I've had a couple of people ask about porting into VoipO. Some are our beta testers; (Including myself). Have you come up with a VoipO specific LOA to be filled out? Could you provide the following clarification for those of us who want to port to VoipO.

1. LOA required (Special Instructions if Needed)
    2. Copy of recent Voip bill or similar documents
    3. Fax or email address where we can send it to you. (Email; scanned signed documents and emailed to voipo.
    4. Any other instructions.

Thanks..... Mike.......

P.S. Update: Tim, correct me if I'm wrong; but I have the info if anyone is interested in porting to voipo.

When you're ready, we just need a LOA and a bill copy or something printed that shows your name/number. Level3 just wants to see something on paper with the number basically.

Here is the LOA: http://voipo.com/GenericLOA.pdf

The number would be in all fields (beginning/end refers to a range of numbers). Just fax it with documentation to 832-426-7700.
    Last edited by christcorp; 07-09-2008 at 01:13 PM.
    Mike
    "Born Wild - Raised Proud"
    Do you like your life? - Thank a Vet!!!

Default Re: Porting Procedures?

I'll post an updated VOIPo branded LOA that is a little easier to fill out in terms of what it's asking for before public launch (need to have it approved by Level3 first). We're eventually going to move to filling it out online and it generating a PDF to print and sign.

For now here is what we're working with: http://voipo.com/GenericLOA.pdf

Here's a breakdown of the fields it currently uses:

Company Name: Your Name

Address: Mailing Address on File with Provider

Provider: Provider (ViaTalk, Lingo, etc)

Number Begin: Number to Port

Number End: Number to Port

BTN: Number to Port (or primary number if porting a virtual)

Requested Date: Blank/Does Not Matter Unless Scheduling Way In Advance

Order Number: Blank - N/A

Along with the LOA, we also need a copy of a recent bill or a printout from your provider. Something that shows number/name on the same page is preferred. Level3 just looks at this to match it up. If using ViaTalk or another Tier-2 ITSP, this won't even be verified, but Level3 will not process without seeing something on paper.

Just fax these to 832-426-7700 or e-mail to support@voipo.com and we'll submit.

Average processing time is about 2 weeks, but could take up to 30-45 days or be completed in just a few days.

If anyone has any questions, just let us know.
    Timothy Dick
    Founder/CEO
    VOIPo.com

Interact with VOIPo: Twitter, Facebook

Thanks Tim. I just faxed you'all my porting paperwork. My packet8 account uses Level-3 the same as VoipO, so hopefully it will be pretty quick. thx... mike....
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by christcorp View Post
    Thanks Tim. I just faxed you'all my porting paperwork. My packet8 account uses Level-3 the same as VoipO, so hopefully it will be pretty quick. thx... mike....
    Yeah, we got it and I submitted it already.

You'd think Level3 internal ports would be quicker, but really they're not any faster than an outside one. Level3 is a very compartmentalized company and doesn't do anything from within
    Timothy Dick
    Founder/CEO
    VOIPo.com

Another question please. I think it might be of interest to many of the alpha/beta testers. When my port comes through; will it be a "New" (3rd) number on my account with the 2 voipo beta test numbers? Thus, do I need to fire up line 2 on one of my ATA's. OR, can it automatically REPLACE one of my 2 voipo beta/test lines? (Preferably the one with the SAME AREA CODE)?

Just wondering what the procedure will be for us for the LEAST amount of downtime. For the average new customer, they are normally set up a temp number with the new provider, and the ported number automatically replaces that. Just wondering if I needed to communicate WHICH voip number to replace or being those were ALPHA/BETA and aren't being charged monthly fees, if you wanted to leave them alone and add the ported number as a 3rd number; thus ready to start a "BILLED ACCOUNT". (I HAVE PLENTY OF ATA's so don't worry about that). Obviously, I don't have a credit card on file, normal paying account, etc....

Anyway, whichever way you want to go is cool. Again, I just brought it up in the public forum because I assume there will be quite a few of the beta testers who will want to port, and they will probably have the same questions. Thx.... Mike......
    Mike

Operator...I've been Cut off! (Marie Antoinette's Last Voip Call)

Another question please. I think it might be of interest to many of the alpha/beta testers. When my port comes through; will it be a "New" (3rd) number on my account with the 2 voipo beta test numbers? Thus, do I need to fire up line 2 on one of my ATA's. OR, can it automatically REPLACE one of my 2 voipo beta/test lines? (Preferably the one with the SAME AREA CODE)?

Just wondering what the procedure will be for us for the LEAST amount of downtime. For the average new customer, they are normally set up a temp number with the new provider, and the ported number automatically replaces that. Just wondering if I needed to communicate WHICH voip number to replace or being those were ALPHA/BETA and aren't being charged monthly fees, if you wanted to leave them alone and add the ported number as a 3rd number; thus ready to start a "BILLED ACCOUNT". (I HAVE PLENTY OF ATA's so don't worry about that). Obviously, I don't have a credit card on file, normal paying account, etc....

Anyway, whichever way you want to go is cool. Again, I just brought it up in the public forum because I assume there will be quite a few of the beta testers who will want to port, and they will probably have the same questions. Thx.... Mike......
    I ported a number from VT and then asked Tim to disconnect my "trial" number so I only have 1 number now with Voipo.

Mike,

It's really up to you. Just PM and let me know how you want to do it.

Right now, we've just been setting up a new account and then handling the existing account the way the user wants it handled whether that's cancelling it or making it a virtual number on the ported account.

If users have a provisioned ATA, we can automatically re-provision their ATA for the new account if that's what they want.

With mutliple accounts sometimes people have different ways they want to handle them, so it's currently handled on a case by case now with the default being entirely new/seperate accounts.

Timothy Dick
    Founder/CEO
    VOIPo.com

We will see how porting away from P8 goes for me, tomorrow is the big day !!!!

Is tomorrow the big day that you send voipo the porting paperwork; or the day your port is scheduled to happen? I ask only because I never asked the question, per se, of when the port would happen. I sent VoipO the paperwork and they processed it. One day my packet8 phone won't work anymore and I guess I will then know to try one of my other lines. Or I call voipo. But it would be nice to know if there is/will be any notification process for when it's suppose to happen. I sent my paperwork in a little over a week ago. Something like 8-9 days. Not sure what to expect. Never "Ported" a number before. Later.... Mike.....
    Mike

Here is the current process:

We submit your port and documentation to Level3 and wait while it is processed. It typically takes them about a week to process it, but that varies depending on the carriers involved, volume of ports, etc.

Once they have everything all set, Level3 will provide us with a completion date and time window.

Once we have that info from them, we will then e-mail you letting you know when the port will complete.

We've had some complete in less than a week and some that have taken about a month. Overall, the average porting times right now for us is about 2 weeks.

So the bottom line is, yes, we'll keep you informed and you'll know at least a few days ahead of time before your number ports in. We're not going to let it just happen without letting you know in advance.
    Timothy Dick
    Founder/CEO
    VOIPo.com