View Poll Results: Have you had this problem, or similar?

Voters
3. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

1 33.33%
  • No

2 66.67%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No Ring

Default No Ring

Can't seem to get a ring when dialing out. This has been going on since getting on fiber Internet.

Have tried multiple times over the last number of months to get this fixed once and for all but no one can do it. All the "service" personnel like to fiddle with settings and have us reset everything but nothing is every improved.

It happens on two different VOIPO phone numbers, but not on our cellular service provider. Strictly a VOIPO problem.

Does anyone know when this problem might be fixed? It's starting to get a little old.

Default Re: No Ring

My guess is going to be your fiber service came with a new router. In my case my Voipo service connects to Voipo owned SIP servers. But my calls are handed off directly to the carrier. Thus the voice traffic can look like unsolicited traffic to your router firewall.. Any good firewall is going to block this. A few simple steps and my voip service is perfect here and at my customer locations. I like their method of handing off the traffic because it takes several hops out of the equation and thus less latency on a call.

You may be experiencing something similar..

What modem and router did your last service have?

What modem and router is your new service?
    I Void Warranties.

I do not remember what modem and router the last few services used. However, the current fiber service provider installed a Calix 844G GigaCenter indoor optical network terminal. From that I am connecting, by wired Ethernet port, a Netgear WNDR3800 router with Gargoyle firmware, into which the ATAs are directly plugged.

Your Calix is a Gateway device. What is the WAN IP address of your Gargoyle loaded router? Private space or public?? I.E.. is your Calix gateway in bridge-mode? Only if your Gargoyle Router has a public space IP address would the Calix be in bridge mode.
    I Void Warranties.

The Calix Access Point is the only device on a public IP (on the outside, only), as one would expect. All other IPs on all devices are private.

Quote Originally Posted by VOIPuser View Post
    The Calix Access Point is the only device on a public IP on the outside, as one would expect. All other devices are on private IPs.
    That is actually not what everyone would expect. Many of my customers have gateway devices which have been put into bridge mode.

But this means your double NAT'd.

VOIP was not originally designed to be behind NAT in the first place let alone behind two NAT devices. Later implementations of the SIP standard added NAT capabilities and not very well in many cases.

If I were in your shoes I would either figure out how to put the Calix device in bridge mode if your not using any of its other features and let the Gargoyle router handle the firewall stuff..

or-

By a simple 5 port switch and put it in between the Calix device and the Gargoyle router and plug your ATA's into it as well. That takes out the second NAT.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_s...=2XN0I5ZI6G2IO
    I Void Warranties.

I guess it is easy from some to miss my point. In normal operation, a gateway/access point is not in bridge mode. Hence my correct statement.

I could try to make sure that there is a SIP port forward in place and all necessary NAT devices.

Do you happen to know what port(s) is used for VOIPO SIP? I read that the ports VOIPO uses are as follows:
    SIP Control and RTP: Port 5004 to 65000 UDP. But can't we narrow that down a bit?

In my commercial routers I never port forward anything. Simply open firewall rules to allow incoming traffic.. But yes.

SIP can be 5078-5079 from Voipo usually. Mine are all 5060 as that is what Ive asked.

RTP depends on device. Grandsteam by default starts at 5004. My firewall rules are 5004-5059 (Grandsteam)

Linksys devices by default are 16384-16482 way overkill. When I have a Linksys/Cisco i mirror these in the firewall.

In normal operation, a gateway/access point is not in bridge mode. Hence my correct statement.
    If the public IP is on the Calix device then anything behind it is behind NAT. If the Gargoyle device is in standard router mode then it is also a NAT device. Anything behind it is double NAT'd.

Not sure what I am missing?

If you look at your Voipo dashboard there is a page that shows connected devices.. https://account.voipo.com/features/devices

In my case-

Username:3455551212

Received:sip:9x.1xx.1xx.1xx:5060

Expires:2017-12-31 18:04:04
    User Agent:Grandstream HT-502 V1.2A 1.0.3.10
    Connected To:VOIPo Central

Notice the Recieved IP address (which Ive obfuscated) is my public IP address. Received however contains my private space IP address. This is in the return SIP header. This is how the Voipo servers know where I am and where my device is behind NAT and why I do not need to port forward to get to them. This is also why I can run more than one ATA on port 5060 on my system. If I port forward 5060 to one ATA I cannot port it to another.

The reason Voipo and other companies tell you to port forward on a SOHO router is because this also opens up the corresponding firewall rule on that router as there is no way to do it separately. Im not sure if your running into the problem of trying to use more than one ATA or not but figured Id mention it. I do here. Only one of my customers also do.

When your double NAT'd your device and their servers can get very confused.

Based on your comment- "The Calix Access Point is the only device on a public IP" Im still assuming that your ATA(s) are double NAT'd.

I Void Warranties.

Double NAT increases security.?.

No it does not. NAT for security is a myth.
    I Void Warranties.