Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Back Again With Voice Breaking Up at the Other End..I give up

Default Re: Back Again With Voice Breaking Up at the Other End..I give up

Quote Originally Posted by chpalmer View Post
    Makes me curious if routers, or actual ISP routing have more to do with it in these cases.
    Exactly..

My general reference to network congestion above can also mean anything that happens to your voice data packets once it traverses the Internet with your particular ISP. Every ISP is different on how they "route" their data around the Internet. They each use different switches, routers, backhaul, etc. For example, I'm on CenturyLink's DSL service. If my data needs to get from Houston to Dallas, it will basically make a few hops through a couple of local switches/routers then uses CenturyLink's own backhaul fiber (or Qwest) to reach Dallas. If I were to use another ISP (like Comcast), they are likely to use different switches/routers and backhaul provider to route the data to Dallas. It may even traverse through several more hops to different cities just to reach Dallas. You're dealing with the Internet and everybody's routing is different from one ISP to another. In addition, the routing will be different from the same ISP from different cities. There's also the occasional outages/congestion problems within their network or backhaul which may cause them to "re-route" the data from one day to the next. There are a lot of variables going on behind the scenes. This is why one can experience completely different results from one voip provider to another simply because of the call "routing" it takes with your particular ISP.

Voice packets need to be in real time, so any type of hiccup or delay in the whole routing process will cause chop/garble.

BTW, those voip tests only give you a "general" idea of how well voip may work with your network. It does not take into account the data "routing" your call may make.

Hopefully, Voipo's support team will try to do everything possible to keep you as a customer. Unfortunately, there are a few people that have network issues that are outside their control and they simply can't resolve it no matter what they do......best of luck!
    Last edited by tritch; 03-04-2013 at 12:02 PM. Reason: Added further comments

Default Re: Back Again With Voice Breaking Up at the Other End..I give up

Hi pcri2013, I saw your both test results and I think there is something is not right with your connection/Java installation/PC/Router - It is hard to predict what is at fault. If you notice, your first test did not connect to the jitter server, but your second test did. I have a reason to believe it is your router because of your voice quality fails at times. I could be wrong, but just my personal opinion.

VillageGuy, your connection seems to be having too much buffering, It took more than 500ms in your test to get a handshake from servers, which could be affecting your call quality as well.

Quote Originally Posted by tritch View Post
    BTW, those voip tests only give you a "general" idea of how well voip may work with your network. It does not take into account the data "routing" your call may make.
    I fully agree, to find out exact call quality and conenction issues VOIPO support can initiate a call monitoring on your account and they might be able to shed more light into finding a right solution, if not already.

Hope things will work fine with you guys soon!