Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Annoyance with forum timestamps?

Default Annoyance with forum timestamps?

Something I just noticed: when you post a new message (or reply), it shows up with the correct date/time. If you edit an existing message, it doesn't. It would be nice if it did, since (IMO of course), the point of these timestamps is so forum readers can see there is something new to read, and they won't see that unless they happen to be reading an 'old' thread already

Default Re: Annoyance with forum timestamps?

After I have refreshed and go back to the main screen, I see the date and time.

For example, your message shows as "today 9:19am

Other than that, what else are you seeing?

This is not an edited message, but a new one, so the timestamp is correct. For an example of what I mean, go to the Residential board, and look at the thread I started about odd disconnects. The timestamp that shows up in the thread says 'yesterday, 9:47PM', but the actual message says 'today, 8:56AM'.

Quote Originally Posted by dswartz View Post
    This is not an edited message, but a new one, so the timestamp is correct. For an example of what I mean, go to the Residential board, and look at the thread I started about odd disconnects. The timestamp that shows up in the thread says 'yesterday, 9:47PM', but the actual message says 'today, 8:56AM'.
    "I see" said the blind man.

I forgot about the editing timestamps.

It's extremely annoying, since if you browse the forums like I do (looking for new stuff), you will NOT see updates

It's extremely annoying, since if you browse the forums like I do (looking for new stuff), you will NOT see updates
    Knowing how Tim thinks, if it's possible to fix, he will get it done..

Who updates a thread by editing a post? Most forums don't allow edits after just a few short mins because editing should be used for spelling or adding an additional quick thought.

If you need to post new information later, make a new reply to the thread.

If the edit function is not going to work properly it shouldn't be there. Thanks for your (non) helpful suggestion; if you can't respond in a way germane to the thread, save your keystrokes.

After about 2 minutes, the post will have "Edited by 'Name'", and a time. Editing is currently set to be allowed forever, but as the forum opens up to more people, this may be something that Tim will want to change. The other issue with the time updating is the message order would be wrong - if it's an edited post, does it stay where it was, or move down to be in the new time order?
    Last edited by Brian; 09-02-2008 at 04:23 PM.

If the edit function is not going to work properly it shouldn't be there. Thanks for your (non) helpful suggestion; if you can't respond in a way germane to the thread, save your keystrokes.
    The edit function does work properly, there's nothing wrong with it.

And I responded in a way that explains how forums posts are not meant to be updated with new information through edits. Just because you don't want to accept how the normal operation of 99% of all forums on the internet work, then there's no reason to be rough.