Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hurricane..

Default Re: Hurricane..

Quote Originally Posted by usa2k View Post
    How did your restaurant fair? Or is it elsewhere?
    Thanks for asking. I've actually trimmed back commitments some and am not really involved with that project anymore, so I'm really not sure how it turned out. Ironically, Brendan at VT sold his Quiznos about 2 months ago too.

I had so many things going on and while income from so many sources was good, it was getting to a point where it just kind of became more of a hassle than anything. I got out of the real estate investing, dropped most investment projects, cut day-to-day involvement with HostGator down to almost nothing, and I'm just focusing on VOIPo and internet marketing now. I was making so much money with internet marketing and VOIPo has so much long-term potential, the other investment income was kind of irrelevant.

I'm much happier now that life isn't a big ball of chaos
    Last edited by VOIPoTim; 09-16-2008 at 06:51 AM.
    Timothy Dick
    Founder/CEO
    VOIPo.com

Interact with VOIPo: Twitter, Facebook

After living through Fran here in the Triangle area in 1996, I really feel for you guys. The situation sounds similar, except it sounds like you got it worse than we did. It sounds like the recovery efforts are well underway, albeit definitely to take a while, given the extent of the damage.

I wish all SE Texans the best in getting back to 'normal' following this disaster...

And....my service hasn't faltered for one minute...can't get better than that..

Quote Originally Posted by fisamo View Post
    After living through Fran here in the Triangle area in 1996, I really feel for you guys. The situation sounds similar, except it sounds like you got it worse than we did. It sounds like the recovery efforts are well underway, albeit definitely to take a while, given the extent of the damage.

I wish all SE Texans the best in getting back to 'normal' following this disaster...
    Yeah I think part of the issue is that we hadn't had a big hit like this in a very long time. Haven't looked it up, but assuming NC doesn't get hit as often as some others either.
    Timothy Dick
    Founder/CEO
    VOIPo.com

Quote Originally Posted by VOIPoTim View Post
    Ironically, we have been waiting for weeks for permits to install a new $200K generator which is sitting outside of the office, just not connected.
    I think that under the emergency conditions, I'd hit the transfer switch and bring that generator on line now so that you can secure and protect your property, properly [if you can get the fuel]. I don't think anyone could object, given the conditions, as long as it's properly wired in. 'Permanent' installation can proceed at the bureaucratic snail's pace, whenever the 'crats get back to work. You might have to provide a chemical toilet for any guards. ;-) I doubt that you could re-occupy the facility at this time though.

Good News. We kept calling various contacts Centerpoint and various contacts and now our office should have power by 5PM today. Once this happens, the cleanup can begin. We already have a restoration company scheduled to come in tomorrow and they should the cleanup should take 6 days. Then the contractor will come in and make it look nice once again.
    Timothy Dick
    Founder/CEO
    VOIPo.com

For those wondering, things are getting pretty much back to normal. Still about 600K people in Houston without power though and a lot of traffic lights are either out or just flashing red. I'm not sure why, but they said it could be the end of the year before all the lights are fixed.

When compared to the 4 million or so that lost power, I guess 600K remaining is progress.

We opened HostGator phone support back up yesterday and both offices are pretty much normal now. Some minor cleanup still being done, but nothing major.
    Timothy Dick
    Founder/CEO
    VOIPo.com