Thread: Hurricane..

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: Hurricane..

Quote Originally Posted by christcorp View Post
    Yes, by all means our prayers are with you Tim and your employees and all your families. Been through a few of these storms when living in Biloxi Mississippi. They can be scary.

While on the east coast; if you get bored and feel like writing something; I'd be curious to know how the voipo network is set up to withstand such a disaster. I know your offices are in Houston. Are ALL the servers there also? Do ALL VoipO customer's calls go through Houston to the servers? I know level 3 is a major backbone provider, but how are the voip calls router. Just curious. If you have time and want to write. Thanks. And again, our prayers are with you all and your families. Later.... Mike.....
    Equipment is mostly in Dallas with backups in Houston. Everything primarily goes through Dallas. There it's spread out among The Planet's datacenters. I have full confidence in TP keeping things online. Their Houston DCs I've never been 100% sold on but the Dallas ones I don't worry about at all. Their planning is very solid there.
    Timothy Dick
    Founder/CEO
    VOIPo.com

Interact with VOIPo: Twitter, Facebook

Operator...I've been Cut off! (Marie Antoinette's Last Voip Call)

No power for nearly 3M in Houston area

05:22 AM CDT on Saturday, September 13, 2008

Associated Press HOUSTON -- Nearly 3 million people are without power in the Houston area as Hurricane Ike slams the Texas coast.
    It will likely be a while before electricity returns. CenterPoint Energy says it could take weeks before all the power in the nation’s fourth-largest city was restored.
    Utility spokesman Floyd LeBlanc said 1.3 million customers—or about 2.9 million people—had lost power by the time the storm made landfall at Galveston early Saturday. Work crews were coming in Monday to restore power, and priority will be given to hospitals, fire and police departments and water and sewage treatment plants.
    The city’s last direct hit from a hurricane came from Alicia in 1983, when 750,000 CenterPoint customers lost power. It took 16 days to restore all service.

Stay safe!

. . . and you were so close to a full launch I would bet!

Using VOIPo services since February 2007
    Beta Tested the VOIPo Reseller Plan.
    A happy VOIPo Residential Customer

Using VoIP devices since 12-2002
    Companies I've tried
    iConnectHere|Vonage|BroadvoxDirect|Vonage|Packet8| VOIPo
    VOIPo is a keeper!

Quote Originally Posted by usa2k View Post
    Stay safe!

. . . and you were so close to a full launch I would bet!
    If there are any ramifications as a result of the storm, it's better that this happened before the full launch.

Maybe Tim's company is in a hospital or other public service grid and power will get priority restoration.

We've been lucky in South Florida, as we are in a hospital grid and haven't had too long a wait after each storm.

Operator...I've been Cut off! (Marie Antoinette's Last Voip Call)

Quote Originally Posted by burris View Post
    If there are any ramifications as a result of the storm, it's better that this happened before the full launch.

Maybe Tim's company is in a hospital or other public service grid and power will get priority restoration.

We've been lucky in South Florida, as we are in a hospital grid and haven't had too long a wait after each storm.
    Same here - I am on the local hospital's grid so we always get power back first. Best way to buy a house.