Thread: PIN or Verification Question

Default PIN or Verification Question

As of now, we have a "PIN" which will be used for verification for CPNI security compliance. Basically we'll ask for the PIN before discussing certain info about your account.

There seems to be A LOT of confusion about this PIN so far since there is a voicemail PIN, account password, PIN, billing password, etc.

We're looking to simplify this.

Would it be easier to have a PIN or those questions (city of birth, mother's maiden, etc type things)? I hate those questions so much so that's why we went with PIN, but it seems to be causing too much confusion,

What do you guys think?
    Timothy Dick
    Founder/CEO
    VOIPo.com

Interact with VOIPo: Twitter, Facebook

Default Re: PIN or Verification Question

Quote Originally Posted by VOIPoTim View Post
    As of now, we have a "PIN" which will be used for verification for CPNI security compliance. Basically we'll ask for the PIN before discussing certain info about your account.

There seems to be A LOT of confusion about this PIN so far since there is a voicemail PIN, account password, PIN, billing password, etc.

We're looking to simplify this.

Would it be easier to have a PIN or those questions (city of birth, mother's maiden, etc type things)? I hate those questions so much so that's why we went with PIN, but it seems to be causing too much confusion,

What do you guys think?
    Personally, I prefer a PIN number..

It seems like every site wants all kinds of personal info, with no standardization.
    In most all cases, where it is allowed, I have a single answer that has nothing to do with the questions, but helps maintain what little sanity I think I have left..

Not only does that make life easier for me, but saves a lot of interaction with the support side for those who don't remember their answers.

Please stick with the PIN.

And remember, for a percentage of the population, questions about place of birth and parentage may be very difficult, or painful, to answer (truthfully).

I don't know--I think you should ask Grandstream to build a fingerprint reader into its ATAs...

Seriously, a PIN is probably the best way to go, just don't call it a PIN. Call it a 'customer verification code' so that it's clearly differentiated from any kind of password (billing, control panel, etc) or voicemail PIN/password.

If you were to cave to those wanting you to have a security question/answer protection scheme, I'd recommend that you allow each user to create their own security question (only have one question). That way, the customer can decide which information to 'reveal' to Voipo and can more likely come up with something they'll remember.

"What is your favorite car?" Are you kidding me

Operator...I've been Cut off! (Marie Antoinette's Last Voip Call)

Pin.........

Please keep the Pin, much easier and simple..

Another vote for pin

Using VOIPo services since February 2007
    Beta Tested the VOIPo Reseller Plan.
    A happy VOIPo Residential Customer

Using VoIP devices since 12-2002
    Companies I've tried
    iConnectHere|Vonage|BroadvoxDirect|Vonage|Packet8| VOIPo
    VOIPo is a keeper!

Quote Originally Posted by fisamo View Post

Call it a 'customer verification code' so that it's clearly differentiated from any kind of password (billing, control panel, etc) or voicemail PIN/password.
    I vote for the pin... but call it 'customer verification code' as fisamo said.

And please don't refer to it as a "PIN number"