Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Asterisk Setup for noob...

Default Asterisk Setup for noob...

Ok, here is one for you all to ponder for today. I am green and would like to play and learn.

I have an older (2 years old) compaq installed with asterisk@home or asterisk now 1.0.2 (confused over all the names). Installed it all last night with no problems.

* is connected to my network via router then modem. I have a linksys wireless 4 port router. I set up a static ip in router via DHCP and Mac address. Machine now connects to 192.168.1.111 no problem.

I was not able to connect to the * via 192.168.1.111 in web browser. I rebooted * and performed line by line verification of boot. I did not authorize the firewall this time and was able to connect to * via web browser.

Now I rebooted the * last night and have not been able to connect to * GUI.

How would I modify the firewall to allow access. I will also need some help further along. Will I be able to play with this using the service VOIPo provides? Do you guys have an * running and how do you use it?

I would ultimately like to use this as a PBX on my property to call the apartments in the back. I have a few apartments for college students on my property. They all have cat5 drops.

Thanks for your advise and tips. I am really green and am eager to learn.

Default Re: Asterisk Setup for noob...

If this machine is behind the router and needs no firewall, I think (I use redhat, which is what I think trixbox uses) you want this:

chkconfig firewall off

p.s. do yourself a huge favor here: what you are running is OLD. chock-full of bugs and honestly it sucks. a good distro to try is pbxinaflash.

Quote Originally Posted by dswartz View Post
    If this machine is behind the router and needs no firewall, I think (I use redhat, which is what I think trixbox uses) you want this:

chkconfig firewall off

p.s. do yourself a huge favor here: what you are running is OLD. chock-full of bugs and honestly it sucks. a good distro to try is pbxinaflash.
    I did not know that... There seems to be so many variations to the * system.

I am open to any and all suggestions. I will look at pbxinaflash and I will probably install tonight. Anything I should be aware of?

Thanks for your reply dswartz, keep the ideas coming.

Not offhand. I've not used pbxinaflash, but I've heard good things and it is less flaky than trixbox.

PBX In a flash is great and I think much cleaner than trixbox. They are also building it so upgrades aren't a huge pain. There are lots of cool scripts made for it too that install neat little extras.

However, in another thread about odd disconnects, there is some discussion about Asterisk 1.4 with VoipO disconnecting after 30 minutes. It apparently has something to do with session timers not being supported in Asterisk 1.4.

But, the PIAF ISO image allows you to install 1.4 or 1.6 beta, and the 1.6 beta does work with session timers. I haven't tried it yet personally but I plan to.

Scott

I can confirm the session timer aspect. I am running asterisk on a separate box (not pbxinaflash) and migrated from 1.4 to 1.6 so I could make voipo calls longer than 30 minutes

I love the help and chatter, keep it going.

I tried to install the pbxinaflash last night but was unable to get the CD to run at bootup. I checked and the CD drive is number one in boot order. I was using a CD-RW would that make a difference?

I am going to try again tonight with a new copy. Any ideas as to why the ISO that I burned would not boot to install.

no idea, maybe downloaded or burned it wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by zevin View Post
    I love the help and chatter, keep it going.

I tried to install the pbxinaflash last night but was unable to get the CD to run at bootup. I checked and the CD drive is number one in boot order. I was using a CD-RW would that make a difference?

I am going to try again tonight with a new copy. Any ideas as to why the ISO that I burned would not boot to install.
    Since I have forgotten to do so at times, be sure the ISO you burn is set up to be burned as a bootable ISO.

FWIW I use a free program on Vista http://www.imgburn.com/ that is great for ISO distros.

I don't expect you would have just copied the data to a CD or DVD anyway - just thought it is a good plug for the software

Using VOIPo services since February 2007
    Beta Tested the VOIPo Reseller Plan.
    A happy VOIPo Residential Customer

Using VoIP devices since 12-2002
    Companies I've tried
    iConnectHere|Vonage|BroadvoxDirect|Vonage|Packet8| VOIPo
    VOIPo is a keeper!