Thread: HT-286 QOS: default settings?

Default HT-286 QOS: default settings?

I was reading the HT-286 user manual, and ran into something that seems somewhat "unusual":
    default value for Layer 3 QOS:

1. Grandstream defaults it to 48. Why? the default DSCP for voice is EF codepoint 101110 (per RFC 2598) and the default DSCP for signaling is AF31 codepoint 011010 (per RFC 2597)
    2. Is it for signaling/media?

please do not say "find out for yourself...", as I've already sniffed the traffic, and...

while someone might say "it does not matter as most consumer grade routers/gateways will not observe these settings", inquiring mind wana know

Cheers,
    -v
    my wish list:
    1. Intelligent Call Forwarding that detects the incoming call originated from the "forwarded" phone and rings the original destination instead
    2. Call History that makes use of CallerID/Custom CallerID+Location. Call History only shows Custom CallerId+Loc. No CNAM look up; Albeitly,it's a step in the right direction!
    3. Scheduled sim. ring with a twist (see wish #1)

Default Re: HT-286 QOS: default settings?

Hmm, dunno. In my asterisk setup, I got to cheat since the QoS stuff in iptables only supports ToS, but the DSCP stuff ends up in the upper 6 bits of the IP ToS field, so I figured out the two values and did that. Dunno why the GS does this.

Quote Originally Posted by dswartz View Post
    Hmm, dunno. In my asterisk setup, I got to cheat since the QoS stuff in iptables only supports ToS, but the DSCP stuff ends up in the upper 6 bits of the IP ToS field, so I figured out the two values and did that. Dunno why the GS does this.
    Did you have a chance to look at the incoming qos markings (from voipo)?
    Wanna share your thoughts?
    my wish list:
    1. Intelligent Call Forwarding that detects the incoming call originated from the "forwarded" phone and rings the original destination instead
    2. Call History that makes use of CallerID/Custom CallerID+Location. Call History only shows Custom CallerId+Loc. No CNAM look up; Albeitly,it's a step in the right direction!

No, I didn't, since they aren't relevant. Once the packets leave my home network (or voipo's operations center), no-one pays any attention to them

Quote Originally Posted by voxabox View Post
    I was reading the HT-286 user manual, and ran into something that seems somewhat "unusual":
    default value for Layer 3 QOS:

1. Grandstream defaults it to 48. Why? the default DSCP for voice is EF codepoint 101110 (per RFC 2598) and the default DSCP for signaling is AF31 codepoint 011010 (per RFC 2597)
    2. Is it for signaling/media?

please do not say "find out for yourself...", as I've already sniffed the traffic, and...

while someone might say "it does not matter as most consumer grade routers/gateways will not observe these settings", inquiring mind wana know

Cheers,
    -v
    I think I've figured out why grandstream defaulted the ATA "Layer 3 QOS" value to 48: 2nd row in table "“Pre-set / agreed upon standards" - Ethernet Frame and IP Packet markings table"

Ernie's Quality of Service Guide makes a nice bedtime reading material
    my wish list: