Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Hardware Update

Default Re: Hardware Update

Quick question: I was looking at my HT286 (it registers to my asterisk system, not voipo's servers). I had the same issue as you guys, but never got into looking as to why. Here's an issue: HT286 has two ways of doing 3-way: "bell style", where you diddle the flash hook like you guys do, and the other way, where you press flash to put A on hold, dial '*23' followed by B's number, and when (if) they answer, press flash again. NOTE WELL: the default is mode 2, NOT mode 1 I haven't yet tested this (I'm at work right now), and I'm not sure you guys can (isn't the ht286 locked? do any of you have BYOD credentials and can prove/disprove my hypothesis?) If this is it, it's a simple voipo config change they can push out to you all.

Operator...I've been Cut off! (Marie Antoinette's Last Voip Call)

Quote Originally Posted by dswartz View Post
    Quick question: I was looking at my HT286 (it registers to my asterisk system, not voipo's servers). I had the same issue as you guys, but never got into looking as to why. Here's an issue: HT286 has two ways of doing 3-way: "bell style", where you diddle the flash hook like you guys do, and the other way, where you press flash to put A on hold, dial '*23' followed by B's number, and when (if) they answer, press flash again. NOTE WELL: the default is mode 2, NOT mode 1 I haven't yet tested this (I'm at work right now), and I'm not sure you guys can (isn't the ht286 locked? do any of you have BYOD credentials and can prove/disprove my hypothesis?) If this is it, it's a simple voipo config change they can push out to you all.
    Thanks.
    I was able to get into my 286 and Bell style was not selected. I selected, saved and re-booted. When it came back - Bell Style was once again de-selected.

There is an issue with some of the 286's where no changes are saved even if you change them.
    I think I own one.
    Looks like I'll be catching the "502" train home shortly.....lol
    And thanks.

Well, that's good news (after a fashion). If bell style is off, the expected 3-way technique will not work, period.

Quote Originally Posted by NY Tel Guy View Post
    Thanks.
    I was able to get into my 286 and Bell style was not selected. I selected, saved and re-booted. When it came back - Bell Style was once again de-selected.

There is an issue with some of the 286's where no changes are saved even if you change them.
    I think I own one.
    Looks like I'll be catching the "502" train home shortly.....lol
    And thanks.
    In terms of chages, anything changed in the UI will be overwritten by our provisioning. We have to make those changes on our end. Just send in a ticket if you have any changes and as long as they aren't ones that would cause issues, we'll make them on our end for your ATA.
    Timothy Dick
    Founder/CEO
    VOIPo.com

Interact with VOIPo: Twitter, Facebook

Tim, if I may: if this does work for anyone who tries this, can you make this the default voipo config? Reasoning being: *anyone* who comes to voipo from PSTN-land will absolutely expect 3-way to work in the bell style.

I did a quick search and found several people with this problem since 2006 or longer. It doesn't seem possible they can put "call waiting" down on their feature list in this condition. Sure, it lets you pick up the 2nd call, but it is almost useless if you can't go back to the first or toggle.

For "mainstream" people coming from the POTS world, this will be expected. I hope the new ATA resolves this.

I have the same question as mentioned already. Will I get a new ATA for this reason? Thanks again.

Well first we need to work through troubleshooting for anyone having issues to determine if it can be fixed by a firmware change.

In tests today, call waiting is working fine on our test 286 units. It is a known issue on some units that they had a switching issue, but it's firmware specific. If you're seeing it, open a ticket ideally with the firmware version if possible (just access the IP in a browser and use password 123 to find it) and it should be able to be resolved by upgrading. The only thing that is not going to change with the 286 units is that they play a soft ring vs beeps for call waiting.

For 3 Way Calling, you do need to dial *23 before the number when dialing the 2nd party. As long as you do this, it should be fine. Again, if you have issues with this, open a ticket and we'll check on the firmware, etc.

So the bottom line is if you're having issues, open a ticket and we'll go from there. If there's a legit reason for a swap that we can't solve otherwise, we'll do it. We have to try to resolve it via firmware first though.

Still way too many people e-mailing wanting a new device for no real reason....
    Last edited by VOIPoTim; 10-15-2008 at 02:12 PM.
    Timothy Dick
    Founder/CEO
    VOIPo.com

My last word on this: if you really are wanting to have mainstream, Joe Sixpack people (not techies), make 3-way calling work like it does with Ma Bell.

Quote Originally Posted by dswartz View Post
    My last word on this: if you really are wanting to have mainstream, Joe Sixpack people (not techies), make 3-way calling work like it does with Ma Bell.
    Yes the *23 method is only for the 286 devices. It works with just flashing on the 502s. With the 286's it works well with the *23 method, but we're working on changing that.
    Last edited by VOIPoTim; 10-15-2008 at 02:29 PM.
    Timothy Dick
    Founder/CEO
    VOIPo.com

I have no problem with a firmware update as a resolution. It would save me the pain of disconnecting everything, shipping it back, and so on. However, I tend to agree that it has to work like Ma Bell for the mainstream to accept it. I know you already know this, so I hope the new ATA's are more like POTS in this regard. I put in a ticket and am glad to help if I can.
    Scott