Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Hardware Update

Default Re: Hardware Update

Burris, the point is that with DHCP, the ATA requires no special configuration by the VSP, whereas for PPPoE, it may very well need it, which means to have the ATA/router sitting in front of the customer's network will require VOIPO (or whoever) to have to know your PPPoE credentials. Aside from the support hassle, there is also the security aspect - VOIPO is my VSP, not my ISP...

Quote Originally Posted by burris View Post
    When I first got the 286, I also noticed the firmware was out of date. At that time, Norm and I tried upgrading it and found a bunch of problems happening.
    I would maybe wait for VOIPo to push any acceptable upgrades via the MAC from their servers. If you are provisioned, I believe they can take care of it.
    Already submitted a request - ticket EHX-260881
    my wish list:
    1. Intelligent Call Forwarding that detects the incoming call originated from the "forwarded" phone and rings the original destination instead
    2. Call History that makes use of CallerID/Custom CallerID+Location. Call History only shows Custom CallerId+Loc. No CNAM look up; Albeitly,it's a step in the right direction!
    3. Scheduled sim. ring with a twist (see wish #1)

Quote Originally Posted by voxabox View Post
    Already submitted a request - ticket EHX-260881
    FYI, from VoIPo Support Team:
    While we agree that upgrading to the latest firmware always sounds like a good idea, we've had some problems in times past with one problem being fixed while more problems arise. That said, this firmware is not going to be supported until we have the chance to thoroughly test it in our lab. We are working diligently to provide you the best service possible, so we will be testing this new firmware as time permits. When we have tested this firmware and feel comfortable with rolling it out to all of our customers, it will be automatically upgraded.

Regards,
    VoIPo Support Team
    support@voipo.com
    http://support.voipo.com
    Suggestion to VoIPo Support Team:
    To avoid unnecessary support tickets, perhaps there should be a list of VOIPo approved firmware versions; furthermore, the ATAs should be configured to perform periodic/automatic upgrade; otherwise, customers (I, for instance have the modem, router, ATAs on UPS) will need to be notified of new firmware availability to reboot their ATAs (to get the upgrade)
    I'm well aware of SIP NOTIFY reboot/restart method
    Last edited by voxabox; 10-21-2008 at 09:17 AM. Reason: comment on approved firmware list/notification
    my wish list:
    1. Intelligent Call Forwarding that detects the incoming call originated from the "forwarded" phone and rings the original destination instead
    2. Call History that makes use of CallerID/Custom CallerID+Location. Call History only shows Custom CallerId+Loc. No CNAM look up; Albeitly,it's a step in the right direction!

I got the 502 yesterday but I didn't get a chance to connect it yet.

From what I understand, on the 502 LAN side the end user should have access to make changes to PPPOE credentials and such. Is that correct? In that sense it is more like a store bought router that would need to be configured for PPPOE anyway. I don't think VOIPo wants to manage or even know about it's customers PPPOE credentials. There would be a lot of risk in that.

scott

Quote Originally Posted by scott2020 View Post
    I got the 502 yesterday but I didn't get a chance to connect it yet.

From what I understand, on the 502 LAN side the end user should have access to make changes to PPPOE credentials and such. Is that correct? In that sense it is more like a store bought router that would need to be configured for PPPOE anyway. I don't think VOIPo wants to manage or even know about it's customers PPPOE credentials. There would be a lot of risk in that.

scott
    the WAN/LAN is user configurable
    login with password: 123
    my wish list:

That's not so bad then, I guess. I still think ATAs have no business being routers, but that's just me I guess

I just see hassles from having to connect it to a pc configure PPPoE, reconnect to modem. Perhaps I am making to much out of this but I would recommend putting the 502 after a router more plug and play that way.

You are going to ask the users to rip apart their network to install the ATA. Feels like trouble to me.

Quote Originally Posted by dswartz View Post
    Burris, the point is that with DHCP, the ATA requires no special configuration by the VSP, whereas for PPPoE, it may very well need it, which means to have the ATA/router sitting in front of the customer's network will require VOIPO (or whoever) to have to know your PPPoE credentials. Aside from the support hassle, there is also the security aspect - VOIPO is my VSP, not my ISP...
    I'm trying to understand what you wrote.

At the moment, with DSL, I have the DSL modem in a bridged mode..feeding my wireless router that performs the PPPoE that is set up in the router, not with the ISP.

When I hook up the 502, I will set up the router to do PPPoE. The 502 router DHCP can be NAT router(so it can go behind a firewall) or switched mode..I'm not keen on using IVR to set it up, and I think direct access will do the job..

I then hope to go into my existing router that will function as an access point.

What is it that you see differently with the 502?

With PPPoE, the client (your router) has to communicate with (and authenticate with) the ISP's server. Once that works, you have an IP address and can do stuff. If you put an ATA in front of router, then the ATA needs to do the PPPoE authentication with the ISP, since your original router is sitting behind it and can't do PPPoE. Not to mention having to deal with possible double-NAT issues from apps on my internal LAN.

Quote Originally Posted by dswartz View Post
    With PPPoE, the client (your router) has to communicate with (and authenticate with) the ISP's server. Once that works, you have an IP address and can do stuff. If you put an ATA in front of router, then the ATA needs to do the PPPoE authentication with the ISP, since your original router is sitting behind it and can't do PPPoE. Not to mention having to deal with possible double-NAT issues from apps on my internal LAN.
    You see what I am talking about... I can see "DSL Joe" under his desk unplugging things, using the wrong AC adapter, and trying to remember PPPoE login details like password. Who remembers the DSL password, I don't.

For the average "Joe" something that just plugs in and goes is best. Now if you say the 502 can do that, well I see problems with "Joe" knowing which port on the 502 he should use to plug into the router: wan or lan. Perhaps VOIPo should include an instruction sheet with the adapter or cover the other port with a sticker.

Quote Originally Posted by burris View Post
    At some point in the setup, if you use PPPoE, you still have to engage it. Why is this more difficult?
    Yes you and I know how to go in and set up PPPoE on the 502. However "Joe" is going to get lost real fast. I was not talking about it being difficult for us. You have to consider on occasions the cable or DSL provider installs the modem, connection and even sets up the computers for the user. Granted custom installs is not as common, but still exists. That user has no idea what was done.

Now the user who's modem doesn't require another device to do authentication should have no problem placing the 502 between the modem and router.

Food for thought.