Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Hardware Update

Default Re: Hardware Update

I agree, the ATA should be a guest device after the router. Too much to go wrong otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by quattrohead View Post
    I agree, the ATA should be a guest device after the router. Too much to go wrong otherwise.
    When I switched to DSL from cable a while back, I first set up the DSL modem to handle the PPPoE and fed it into the router. I did not have very good results..quirky everything..drop outs, etc.
    I then made mt DSL modem bridged and fed it to my wireless router that took care of the PPPoE. I simply connected from a router port to my ATA and haven't had a connectivity problem since.

I was waiting for Tim to ask me to do some experimenting with the 502, but all is working so well I am leery.
    By the way, the 286 did not give me good results...even after trying every kind of hookup...having a firmware upgrade done on line by VOIPo..doing all kinds of tweaking, etc.

I will of course run the 502 through the paces in order to see what happens and maybe discover some tweaks or information that might be of help to Tim and others..

I connected the WAN side of the 502 to my internal network, so it is behind the firewall/router. I left the LAN side disconnected. The WAN side got an internal LAN ip with the firewall/router as the default gateway and all of the other IP settings. I plugged it in and it seems to work fine. I know several others have done this but I wanted to report it seems to be fine. I don't want to use the 502 as a router/firewall either, but some may. I think it will work great either way, but for the average Joe it might be a little more complex. Lots of variables to consider.

It is nice to be able to toggle between callers with call waiting though! I haven't tried 3-way calling yet though.

scott

The only complication (I think) is that managing the 502 through the web interface would require configuring it so that WAN-side access is allowed. Dunno if that's the default or not.

Quote Originally Posted by dswartz View Post
    The only complication (I think) is that managing the 502 through the web interface would require configuring it so that WAN-side access is allowed. Dunno if that's the default or not.
    WAN access to it is disabled by default, but it can be enabled if needed with a ticket.
    Timothy Dick
    Founder/CEO
    VOIPo.com

Interact with VOIPo: Twitter, Facebook

On mine it was already enabled, but I'm not sure if that was done before they shipped it to me. Basically I went with my web browser to the IP address the WAN side picked up from my internal DHCP server and it let me right in.

scott

Do you all mean WAN or LAN. The wan has to be enabled or it wouldn't accept an IP address from your DSL, Cable, or Router depending on if it's connected before or after the home router. The LAN side; which is it's router functions can be disabled if you are connecting after a home router and not using it to feed/route PC's or other devices.

On a similar side bar: Is the WAN side accessible to the web interface so that we can give the 502 a static IP address from our home network, or do we HAVE TO let it grab an IP address via DHCP? I run only static IP addresses on my home network and need to be able to see the 502 to a 192.168.x.x static IP address on the WAN side. Thx... Mike....
    Mike
    "Born Wild - Raised Proud"
    Do you like your life? - Thank a Vet!!!

Quote Originally Posted by christcorp View Post
    Do you all mean WAN or LAN. The wan has to be enabled or it wouldn't accept an IP address from your DSL, Cable, or Router depending on if it's connected before or after the home router. The LAN side; which is it's router functions can be disabled if you are connecting after a home router and not using it to feed/route PC's or other devices.

On a similar side bar: Is the WAN side accessible to the web interface so that we can give the 502 a static IP address from our home network, or do we HAVE TO let it grab an IP address via DHCP? I run only static IP addresses on my home network and need to be able to see the 502 to a 192.168.x.x static IP address on the WAN side. Thx... Mike....
    If you don't yet have it, here is the manual for it.

See if you can figure it out.

http://tinyurl.com/6n9nmq

Sorry if I was unclear. By 'enabled on the WAN', I meant the management interface.

On mine the way I received it from VOIPo, the WAN side had the HTTP management interface enabled. It is configurable to enable or disable from entering in touch tones per the quick setup guide. I guess that is why I could get to the management HTTP via the WAN interface, even though the WAN is connected to my LAN. Confusing huh!

Also, it looks like you can static IP the WAN port IP address. It has DHCP, PPPOE, or Static. You would just need to put in a static IP from your LAN on the WAN configuration of the 502 and it should work. I didn't need to make any other changes.

scott